The day the new Kindle was announced I sold my trusted old Sony e-Reader on eBay. To my surprise it got bought within an hour of listing it, with the Buy Now option. I figured this was urgent for the buyer, so I did what good sellers do: rushed to ship it the same day. What a mistake… I should have lazily sat on it…
- He maintained it was all UPS’s fault and would not pay any more for shipping
- I maintained I had not been part of communication between UPS and him, if he thinks UPS was wrong, he should not try to hold me accountable
me: do you have access to UPS tracking info or should i paste here?
eBay: You can paste it here. Has he file any case yet?
me: no, he has not filed. frankly, i am sick of being threatened and i wanted to open a case but discovered sellers can not.
eBay: That is correct in this case seller’s cannot file a case but in this situation you as a seller already did your part we just need the tracking.
me: so should i just wait till ha pays the new shipment? i mean it is his item now but sits here in a box
eBay: Yes…Ok I have noted the tracking number & if he files a case just respond with the tracking number so our Resolutions team can see it. Like I said you did your part as a seller.
(Obviously this is a shortened version of the full transcript which I have on file)
- - I did everything I was supposed to, as Seller
- - Buyer did not, and had no case
Talk about case, the very title of the case is fraudulant: “Item not received” – or I guess technically it is correct, since it does not say “not sent” . just “not received”, whether it was in buyer’s intention or not
I am deeply disappointed. Perhaps naively, but I expected a reasonably unbiased review of the case. eBay is a market, and as such it needs both buyers and sellers. But now I am led to believe their Resolution Center process is nothing more than a rubberstamp for buyers.
Now I am at a financial loss in a number of ways:
- lost the original purchase price
- market conditions changed (new readers appeared on the market, mine is less sellable
- I had to pay for the original and return shipment
To top it all, buyer is now out defaming me with a bogus eBay feedback:
tried to cheat me out of my money ebay stoppeTo d him the worst seller. bad ebayer
- Buyers: A deal is not a deal. If you have buyers’ remorse, just don’t accept delivery, then file an “Item not received” claim, eBay will side with you
- Sellers: You’re at risk. Check out Craigslist.
- Myself: Wise up. Read Bob Sutton’s book again.
Update: Buyer’s account is no longer active with eBay. Why am I not surprised? But I am stuck with the defaming feedback, and simply don’t have the time to start with eBay beaurocracy again:-(
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,