Women's Resources provides Victoria's, an 18 bed safe, short-term shelter for women, with or without children, who are seeking safety from abuse. The shelter operates 24 hours, 7 days a week including a crisis support line.
The shelter environment assists women with crisis intervention, advocacy, counselling and referral services. Safety, security and confidentiality of all women at the shelter is very important.
During their stay, Victoria's emphasizes and promotes a communal environment free of abuse, discrimination and oppression. Weekly meetings for residents are held to discuss abuse related issues, personal growth and healing.
Weekly meetings for residents are held to discuss issues of self-esteem, personal growth and healing. Children's workers offer recreational programs and emotional support to children who have witnessed abuse, as well as, information and parenting support to mothers.
Emergency transportation is available to help women get to the shelter.
If you are planning to leave, try to bring these things with you:
- Prescription medication for you or your children
- Your health cards
- Your social insurance card, other identification, passports
- Personal papers (financial, legal)
- Emergency personal belongings (clothes, pictures, etc.)
- Children's favourite toy, blanket
The shelter will provide basic needs (food, bedding, toiletries and, if needed, clothing)
While at the shelter, counsellors support women on an individual basis with:
- Crisis intervention and emotional support
- Creating safety plans
- Understanding the legal system
- Applying for financial assistance
- Obtaining affordable housing
- Learn about other community supports (employment, immigration, education, health)
Our 1.800 support line is a free call. Our telephones are not equipped with call display for incoming calls. Our outgoing calls are blocked from call display telephones. Your call will not show on your phone bill.