Property Taxes > Finance > Services > City of Vernon, British Columbia Canada

By: Vernon  09-12-2011
Keywords: City Council, Property Taxes, Tax Notice

How are taxes calculated?

The formula for calculating taxes on property is:

Tax rate x assessed value

The tax rate is expressed as a dollar amount on every $1,000 of assessed value. If the tax rate for residential property is 8, this means that taxes of $8 are charged on every $1,000 of assessed value. Property valued at $100,000 would thus be charged taxes of $800 (100 x $8).

The assessed value of property for tax purposes is determined by the British Columbia Assessment Authority. The Authority is established under provincial legislation, and is independent of the municipality. The City is not involved in determining assessed values.

Taxation on property is the primary source of municipal revenue. The Local Government Act, which is a Provincial Act, sets out in detail the regulations for property taxation. The amount of money to be raised through taxation is set by Council through the budget process, but other aspects of the taxation process, such as the due date for taxes and the penalty on late taxes, are regulated by the Local Government Act.

Council does not have the power to adjust the taxes on individual properties. The taxes are set by the tax rate which applies to that class of property. For instance, if the tax rate for residential property is 8, then ALL residential properties must be charged this rate.

What is included on my annual Tax Notice?

Your annual tax notice includes ALL property taxes - those imposed by the City and those imposed by other governing jurisdictions. The City collects taxes on behalf of others as follows:

School Taxes These are remitted to the Provincial Government
Hospital Taxes These are remitted to the Hospital District
NORD Taxes These include the NORD 1 rate; the Parks & Rec rate and the NORD 3 rate
Assessor These are the B.C. Assessment Authority taxes
MFA These are the Municipal Finance Authority taxes
Library These are taxes imposed by the Library Board.

All of these tax levies are NOT set by the City, but are collected by the City on behalf of those governing jurisdictions. This is more efficient and economical than each of these tax authorities sending individual tax notices. Your City Council sets the rates only for City taxes, Fire taxes and Local Services taxes.

The annual Tax Notice has the Home Owner Grant Application form attached. This form MUST be completed each year to claim the grant


SCHOOL - residential & non-residential collected for the Provincial Government on all properties and reported to the "Ministry of Small Business and Revenue, Property Taxes".
Their website is
BC ASSESSMENT - collected for B C Assessment Authority, this is a Provincial agency set up to valuate and classify all pieces of real property throughout British Columbia. Their website is
HOSPITAL - collected for the Interior Health Authority to help cover the costs of construction and maintenance of the Vernon Jubilee Hospital. Their website is
LIBRARY - collected for the Okanagan Regional Library. Their website is
MFA - collected for the Municipal Finance Authority, this is a Provincial agency set up to provide financing of capital requirements for Regional Districts and their Municipalities. Their website is
NORD 1 / PARKS & RECREATION / NORD 3 - includes, parks & recreation, solid waste disposal, administration, water distribution, etc. collected for the Regional District of North Okanagan. Their website is
GENERAL CITY/FIRE TAXES - includes the cost of fire protection, operating costs, debt servicing, etc., collected for the City of Vernon.
Our website is

When are taxes due?

Property taxes cover the fiscal year - January 1 to December 31 - and are due the first business day in July. Under the Community Charter, the municipality must charge a 10% penalty on late taxes. The City of Vernon charges a 10% penalty on the first working day after the tax due date.

How do I pay them?

Payment can be made by cash, cheque, money order or debit card at City Hall. Payment can also be made by your mortgage company. Payment by way of post-dated cheque is encouraged. Send the cheque with your completed and signed Home Owner Grant application to City Hall. Leave plenty of time for mail delivery, as postmarks will NOT be considered as date of payment.

The Property Tax Prepayment Plan is a convenient method of paying your taxes. It will assist in your budgeting and eliminate the impact of one large annual payment in July. For further information, please contact our tax department.

What is the Home Owner Grant? Am I eligible to claim it?

The Home Owner Grant is a grant provided by the British Columbia Government to owners of residential property. The grant must be claimed each year. The application form is attached to the bottom of your tax notice.

The Basic Home Owner Grant is up to $570. To be eligible, you must:

    • be a permanent resident of British Columbia
    • be living in the house at the time you claim the grant, and
    • be shown on the title as a registered owner.

The grant cannot be claimed on vacant land. Only ONE grant is allowed for each property, and you can only claim the grant once each year. When there are joint owners or multiple owners on title, any ONE owner on the title can claim the grant. If the property is registered to a company, no grant can be claimed. If your mortgage company is paying your taxes, you must still complete the Grant application if eligible and ensure it is received by the City by the tax due date.

An additional grant of up to $275 is available for seniors and persons with permanent physical disabilities. If you are 65 or will be turning 65 during the current year, complete section 2 of the Home Owner Grant application. Please ensure you enter the date of your birth. If you are a person with disabilities, or are the spouse or relative of a person with disabilities and that person lives with you, you may be eligible for the disability grant. The disability must be permanent and must require extensive physical assistance or costly modifications to the home to be eligible. Your doctor must complete the appropriate form to certify the disability. These forms are available at City Hall.

If the registered owner of the property is recently deceased, a relative may claim the grant, but only if they were living with the deceased at time of death, and are living in the home when they claim the grant.

New owners, whose names are not yet on the property tax notice, must produce a copy of their Certificate of Title or Freehold Transfer when claiming the Home Owner Grant. If you think you might be eligible for the additional grant under Section 2 of the Home Owner Grant application, please contact the tax department for further information.

What is the Northern and Rural Area Homeowner Benefit (NRAHOB)?
This is a benefit of up to $200 that is available for the 2011 and subsequent tax years.
To be eligible for the benefit, you must meet the requirements of the basic and/or additional grant, and your home must be located in British Columbia but outside the Capital Regional District (CRD), the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD) and the Fraser Valley Regional District (FVRD).

For more information, contact the Property Tax Department at 250-545-1361.

The information in this article was current at 06 Dec 2011

Keywords: City Council, Property Taxes, Tax Notice

Other products and services from Vernon


Utility Billing Rates> City of Vernon, British Columbia Canada

A copy of the contract must be given to the finance utility department in order to waive our garbage collection Fee. Based on January, February, March consumption, and.


Planning, Development & Engineering Services > City Services > City of Vernon, British Columbia Canada

The City Planner oversees the short range planning and development aspects of the Department duties while the Chief Building Inspector oversees the inspections carried out by department staff. Overview Planning & Building Services is responsible for the implementation of many of the municipal bylaws & policies related to the planning and growth of the community.


City of Vernon, British Columbia Canada

Provide training and development opportunities that allow staff to meet personal needs and goals within, and consistent with corporate goals and objectives. Provide the benefit program service providers including the Municipal Pension Plan with current employee data. Meet all statutory reporting and remittance obligations related to employee pay. Remit benefit premium payments to the various carriers and service providers.


Engineering > Planning, Development & Engineering Services > Services > City of Vernon, British Columbia Canada

The Engineering Department is responsible for planning, designing, budgeting and administering the City's infrastructure including, but not limited to, roads, sidewalks, traffic control, sanitary sewer and storm drainage. Reviews and approves private development proposals to ensure developments are constructed in accordance with the City's engineering standards as outlined in the Subdivision & Development Servicing Bylaw.


Public Works > City Services > City of Vernon, British Columbia Canada

Road restrictions within the City of Vernon are currently all lifted as of May 5. The Operation Division is responsible for the following City services. The Operations Services Division business location is 1900 - 48 Ave.


Finance > Services > City of Vernon, British Columbia Canada

New property owners are responsible for payment of their annual property taxes by the due date to avoid penalty, whether or not they receive a Property Tax Notice. To avoid a penalty of 10%, payments and properly completed applications for the Home Owner Grant must be received on the Property Tax Due Date, without exception.