Individual sessions are normally 50 minutes long, however, occasionally longer sessions are recommended, especially if frequency is limited.
- The initial few sessions with you as a couple will be twice as long as individual sessions. This will provide sufficient time for both of you to express your views on the issues bringing you to therapy, and allow time to begin an assessment and offer direction for change.
- Following sessions will be 75 minutes in length. During our work we explore the goals you wish to meet as a couple, and help you develop the individual and interpersonal skills necessary to meet those goals.
As your therapist, I will help you to determine when telephone counselling is a necessary and/or desired option for your individual therapy. Telephone counselling is available to clients who have been in counselling with me but have:
- Temporarily relocated or are on extended vacation
- Moved away before completing your therapeutic work
- Have health issues that preclude traveling
- Have work or other commitments that prevent you from coming to my office
How Long Can I Expect to be in Therapy?
The length and frequency of your sessions will be determined by the seriousness of the problems you are experiencing. You can expect to be in therapy for as long as it takes to resolve your issues — for shock trauma (such as car accidents, falls, surgeries, etc.) this could be a few months. For early childhood issues or developmental trauma, therapy can be longer, often several years.
Having said that, I also know that you will begin to feel positive effects after your first session and this will continue throughout your treatment.
As a therapist who has specialized in the field of addiction and trauma for over 25 years, I offer clinical consultation to other professionals in the field. Whether you are working in an agency setting or in private practice, I can assist you in your work with clients who have complicated addiction and trauma histories.
Workshops and Presentations
If you are ready to create positive change in your life, all you need to do is call today for an initial consultation.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Sue Diamond Potts Counselling
Phone: 604-682-1484 | Fax: 778-329-4554
635–470 Granville Street (@ Pender St.), Vancouver, B.C. V6C
Serving Vancouver, the Lower Mainland, North Vancouver,
Sunshine Coast and Washington State.web design: