Saskatoon Friendship Inn - Programs and Services
Meals, job search, Beauty Schools
First and foremost we are a soup kitchen that offers not only nutricious meals to those that need, but compassion and kindness as well. We are open 365 days a year, with special meals at Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. We hold a Childrens Christmas Carnival annually that caters to approximately 1200 children from the core neighborhoods. There is never a charge for anything that we are able to offer to our clients. The following list is in addition to what we do daily.
- Free Family Hair Cuts We currently work with both Marca College and Marvel Beauty Schools to provide our clients with free haircuts. Marvel sends their students out to the Saskatoon Friendship Inn, and Marca offers free service coupons.
- Family Worker Our family workers office is extremely busy, and since January, she has seen over 1200 clients. We also offer diapers and baby food to those that need on an emergency basis through her office. Our family worker is a front line social worker, and has had many positive results, ( single moms returning to school, finding housing for homeless or families) due to her hard work.
- Give Away Table Everyday, through donations and pick ups, we are given items that would perish if we could not use them immediately, so we set these food items on a table for anyone to have. These items include breads, buns, fruit and vegetables, and items like packaged meals. During the winter months, we are given mittens and scarves for our children which has been a blessing many times, especially during the cold snaps.
- Leisure Passes - We have swin and bus passes for our families, courtesy of the City of Saskatoon Leisure Services. These passes are for any leisure centre, such as Harry Bailey Aquatic Centre or the Cosmo Civc Centre.
- Job Search - We provide assistance with job search, resume preparation and telephone contacts.
- Healthy Baby, Healthy Mother Once a week at lunch time
- Working closely with the Department of Social Services, we provide or arrange for counseling, referrals, assist with child issues, housing, advances, treatment, faxing, furniture grants, medical forms, and clothing.
- Public Health Nurses Once a week at lunch time
- Library - We provide donated reading materials for our clients
, job search
, Soup Kitchen