Student Advocate - U of R Students' Union

By: University Of Regina Students' Union  09-12-2011

The Student Advocate is a professional, registered social worker available to assist students who are experiencing difficulties.

The Student Advocate’s main areas of service are financial and academic advocacy.

The Advocate operates in an advisory capacity. The Advocate has the power to investigate, the power to recommend and the power to represent.

Consulting the Student Advocate

If you find yourself saying things like:

  • I feel like I am being treated unfairly!
  • I feel like no one is listening to me!
  • I'd like to talk about my problem with someone before I do anything else.
  • I don't know which way to turn!
  • Will I be able to live on this much money?
  • All I get is the run around!
  • How will I ever get this mess sorted out?
  • I just don’t know where to start!

Then perhaps the Student Advocate is just the person you need!

When You Go To The Student Advocate Office

The Advocate will:

  • Listen carefully to your concerns.
  • Clarify and assess your situation.
  • Provide information on the appeal mechanisms pertinent to your circumstances.
  • Help you to understand the policies, procedures and practices appropriate to your situation.
  • Discuss possible courses of action.
  • Make inquires or conduct investigations to obtain the facts and when appropriate, recommend suitable solutions.
  • Assist you in devising a suitable plan of action.
  • Offer to intervene in some way (prepare and/or present appeals to the University, Student Loans, Rentalsman . . . )
  • Keep confidential records of your case.

Academic & Disciplinary Appeals

Academic and Disciplinary advocacy concerns any issues you may have with various faculties, departments or instructors of the University of Regina.

The Advocate can:

Provide you with information on the policies, procedures and practices of the university with respect to your situation.

Assist in mitigating a suitable resolution to your problems with the university.

Such problems may include:

  • Compassionate Withdrawals
  • Deferral of examinations and assignments
  • Appeals of Required To Discontinue Studies - RTD
  • Academic re-reads
  • Admissions Appeals
  • Registration Appeals
  • Transfer Credits
  • Filing Complaints
  • Financial Account or Fines
  • Appeals to the Council Committee on Student Appeals
  • Appeals to the Council Disciplinary Committee
  • Appeals to the Senate Committee on Student Appeals

Student Loan Appeals

The Student Advocate has a strong background in appeals to Student Loans.

The Advocate Can:

  • Assist you in filing out your Student Loan Application Forms.
  • Assist in the preparation and presentation of reassessment requests and appeals to Student Loans.
  • Provide you with information on current Student Loan Programs, Scholarships and Grants.
  • Provide you with pertinent Student Loan information and polices affecting your situation.
  • Assess the appropriate amount of Student Loan funding you should be eligible to receive for each academic period.
  • Provide you with information on repayment programs and difficulties.

Financial Advocacy

The Student Advocate Office provides professional advocacy services to students regarding financial aid assistance. The Student Advocate is also the facilitator of the Students’ Union Emergency Bursary.

The Advocate can:

  • Assist you in filling out your Student Loan application forms.
  • Assist in the preparation and presentation of  reassessment requests and appeals to Student Loans.
  • Provide you with information and/or referrals to various emergency loan programs or private Student Loan Programs.
  • Assist you in developing a spending plan that suits your individual income and needs.
  • Mediate issues you may be having with creditors or collection agencies.

Notarizing Services

The Student Advocate is a Notary Public!

A notary can certify original documents, administer oaths and receive affidavits, affirmations and declarations authorized by Saskatchewan and Canadian statues. A Notary can take evidence under oath, give evidence before a court or tribunal.

What would a U of R student need Notarized?

  • Education/Teaching Certificates
  • Research or Employment Contracts
  • VISA Application Forms
  • Immigration Documents
  • Declarations
  • Attestations
  • Affirmations
  • Travel Documents
  • Certifications of International Drivers License
  • Power of Attorney

Please note: there is a nominal charge for non-essential student documents. Please consult the Student Advocate for more details.


Other Mediation services of the advocate encompasses various community agencies or companies that you may be experiencing difficulties with.

The Advocate can mediate on your behalf between:

  • Your Landlord
  • Creditors
  • Collection Agents
  • Sask Tel
  • Sask Power
  • Sask Energy
  • Social Services
  • Human Resources Development Canada


The Student Advocate Office also operates a reciprocal referral service to many on and off campus agencies.

The Advocate can refer you to such agencies that may include:

  • The Office of the Rentalsman
  • The Provincial Debit Mediator
  • The Provincial Ombudsman
  • The Food Bank
  • Unemployed Workers' Centre
  • Welfare Rights
  • Human Rights Commission
  • Consumer Protections Branch
  • Counselling and Support Services
  • Children’s Advocate

Contact University Of Regina Students' Union


Print this page

Other products and services from University Of Regina Students' Union


Regina Transit - U of R Students' Union

R-Cards can be registered with Regina Transit with the cardholder's contact information to help protect the balance of the card in case you ever lose your card or have it stolen. Individual Rides (formerly Tickets) For those who don't plan on riding the bus as frequently, Transit sells Individual Rides in sets of 10.


U of R Students' Union

The Canadian Federation of Students-Services enables students' unions to collectively pool their resources to provide student owned and operated services such as Travel CUTS, the International Student Identity Card, the Studentsaver Card,, the Student Work Abroad Program, and the National Student Health Network.


Locker Rental Program - U of R Students' Union

You can visit our rental site online for quick access to locker rentals or stop by the Front Desk.For those looking to rent accessible lockers, or have special needs for a locker in a specific location, please visit the front desk and inform the staff of your request. There have been reports that some lockers are being double-booked, therefore we are suspending our Online Locker Registry until we can correct the problem.


Student Care Health & Dental Plan

Students who are taking fewer than 9 on-campus Fall credit hours are not automatically covered, but may enrol in during the September Change-of-Coverage Period between Sept. 7 – Oct. 5, 2010. The University of Regina Students' Union office is unable to provide information beyond what is provided in posters and brochures provided by the Health and Dental Plan office.