WHAT IS SAFEWALK?
Regular program hours are Monday to Friday, 6PM-11PM. Safewalk is operated by dedicated student volunteers. Each volunteer is trained in First Aid/CPR and a Non-Intervention/Safety Defense program, and are constantly in contact via hand-radio with SAIT Security.
HOW DO I USE SAFEWALK?
- Stop by the SAITSA Student Resource Centre, MC107 in the Heart Building to have a team escort you from our location.
- Pick up an on campus telephone (ex: within a class room) and dial SAFE (7233).
- Stop one of our teams out on patrol and ask for a walk from there. You can identify our team members by their navy jackets that have CAMPUS SAFEWALK across the back. To ensure your safety you may ask to see their Safewalk ID card.
WHO CAN VOLUNTEER FOR SAFEWALK?
All volunteers of our program must be current SAIT students. We look for individuals that are friendly, honest, and most importantly, care about the SAIT community that they belong to. We want all of our team to have fun, meet new people and learn some very valuable skills along the way. There are lots of perks to volunteering with SAITSA and we want to share them with you!
SAFEWALK TEAM MEMBERS – WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?
Each prospective Safewalk Team Member must undergo a police security check and complete an interview with the SAITSA Campus Safewalk Coordinator. All Safewalk Team Members are asked to commit to a minimum of one 3-hour shift per week.
In addition to being a member of Safewalk you can become a Team Captain. Those volunteers that qualify to become Team Captains are responsible to ensure that each team is efficient and operating 100%.
Some of the perks to volunteering with SAITSA are:
- SAITSA Volunteers qualify for SAITSA Awards – make money by volunteering!
- Access to some SAITSA events
- Prizes for Points – Safewalk incentive program
- Safewalk Socials and Meetings
- Gift Cards and Free Food!
- Valuable training, skills & friendships that will last beyond your time here at SAIT.
- Getting involved boosts your resume when applying for jobs after you graduate!
NEED HELP OUTSIDE OF OPERATIONAL HOURS?
Need a walk before 6pm or after 11pm? Contact SAIT Security at 284-8530. Please note that Security will not escort off campus.