Temporary Work Visa

By: Quan Law  09-12-2011
Keywords: Immigration Services, Citizenship And Immigration, Immigration Laws

What is a temporary or nonimmigrant visa ?

A visa is a permit to apply to enter the United States. A nonimmigrant visa is given to someone who lives in another country and wishes to come temporarily to the United States for a specific purpose. Nonimmigrant visas are given to people such as tourists, business people, students, temporary workers, and diplomats. Foreign citizens must apply for a visa at an American embassy or consulate abroad, when desiring to travel to the United States. A consular officer decides whether the traveler is qualified for a visa. The visa classifies the visit as business, tourism, etc. Each visa classification has its own requirements regarding how long a person can stay in the U.S. and what activities (eg. work, study, perform, etc.) are allowed. The visa is usually valid for multiple visits to the United States during a specified period of time. Some non-immigrant visa categories require that the foreign national apply for the visa directly with the U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad. Other visa categories require that a petition first be filed by the foreign national or his employer and approved by the Department of Homeland Security's US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a port-of-entry in the United States, such as an international airport, a seaport or a land border crossing. At the port-of-entry, an officer of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) decides whether to allow him to enter and how long he can stay. An Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) is created by the DHS officer when the traveler is inspected upon arrival in the United States. It is sometimes possible for someone who is in the U.S. in one non-immigrant visa category to change to a different one. This is called an "exchange of status" and requires that an application be filed and approved by USCIS.

Below is a listing of some of the common temporary U.S. visa classifications and links to detailed information provided by the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. FosterQuan is not responsible for the content of the articles. Changes in immigration laws and policies occur frequently and the articles may not be immediately updated. Pleased be advised that interpretation of general information should not take the place of legal advice provided by an experienced immigration lawyer familiar with the specifics of your case.

Keywords: Citizenship And Immigration, Citizenship And Immigration Services, Immigration Laws, Immigration Services

Other products and services from Quan Law


Naturalization and Citizenship

The applicant must have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months out of the five years prior to the date of filing of the application and must have resided for at least three months within the state in which the application if filed. All naturalization applicants will be fingerprinted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and have their criminal backgrounds reviewed by the FBI.


EB-5 Investor Visas

Attorneys of the Investor Visa Group use their expertise to counsel clients on the three most significant issues relating to individual immigrant investor visas: the source of the funds invested in the company; the investor's ownership and actual management of the new company, and the creation of at least 10 new full-time jobs for local workers.


U.S. Permanent Residency

Permanent resident or 'green card' status allows an individual to live permanently in the United States with the right of employment and the ability to travel in and out of the U.S. Immigrant visas are primarily available in four basic categories.



That's when FosterQuan's immigration litigation team steps in to maneuver through the law and the system to find practical and effective solutions to complex immigration matters. Navigating through U.S. immigration laws can be confusing and frustrating, especially for situations that do not easily fit within the structure of current immigration laws.