What is the IQvault?
The IQVault is a PA-DSS certified product to store and process credit card information. Credit card information in the IQvault is encrypted using 256 bit encryption. IQware products are engineered to use the IQvault for credit card storage and processing.
What are PCI DSS and PA DSS?
These are two different security standards. PCI DSS is a standard for security that properties handling credit cards must adhere to. Any application used that processes or stores credit card must be PA DSS compliant. That is, PCI applies to merchants while PA applies to software used by the merchants. To address this need, IQware developed the IQvault. The IQpms, IQpos, and other products offload their credit card storage and processing needs to the IQvault.
Who does PCI apply to?
Any company that store or process credit cards. This certification does not apply to debit or other types of payment methods.
How does one obtain a PCI or PA certification?
Properties that deploy the IQvault, will seek to obtain their own PCI certification with the assistance of a third-party auditor. The use of the IQvault, according to the PCI Council certified deployment and maintenance instruction provided by IQware, will ease this process as the used of certified PA DSS payment applications are a mandatory requirement of the PCI certification.
Who is allowed to install and configure the IQvault?
There are very strict rules regarding this and IQware technicians have undergone an internal certification process. All IQware technicians have been certified as part of their official and are habilitated to deploy and configure the IQvault.
What does a property need to deploy the IQvault?
The IQVault can be broken down into three major parts.
- Database server: The SQL server that stores the IQvault database.
- IQvault services: The services that provide the Credit card processing features.
- Clients: Any computer that accesses the IQvault to store and retrieve credit card data.
It is important to understand that in most cases the IQvault can be installed on your current hardware and does not require independent hardware. The IQvault can be deployed according to two base scenarios approved by the PCI council:
- Scenario 1: This scenario places the IQvault services on one server and the database on another. The use of firewalls creates different network segments to secure the data.
- Scenario 2: This scenario is designed for smaller sites, for these installations all IQvault components may be placed on the same server only if the property does not use the IQvault to receive Internet payments or reservations from a GDS that push data to the property.