Health and Dental Plans – Graduate Student Association (GSA), University of Waterloo

By: Graduate Student Association  09-12-2011
Keywords: Health Coverage, Dental Plans, Dental Plan

Health and Dental Plans – Graduate Student Association (GSA), University of Waterloo

As a member of the FEDS or GSA you are covered by the GSA Health & Dental Plan.  It was designed to provide many important services and cover expenses not covered by a basic health-care plan, such as: prescription drugs, dental care, eye exams and eyeglasses, and more.

Your Student Health & Dental Plan does not replace basic medical coverage such as the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) or equivalent coverage such as the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for International Students.  You must have OHIP or UHIP to be eligible to use the extended health coverage provided through you Student Plan.

The Change-of Coverage Period is at the  beginning of the first term in which the student is enrolled for each Academic Year.  Students already covered by an equivalent health plan can opt out and receive reimbursement for the health portion of the Plan by providing proof of coverage by an equivalent health plan.  Students can’t opt out of the FEDS/GSA Health Plan if they’re only covered by OHIP or equivalent health-care coverage.  They may opt out of the Dental Plan and receive reimbursement for the dental portion of the Plan without submitting proof of equivalent dental coverage.  Opt outs and enrolments are effictive for the entire polcy year.  If you opt out, you will still be assessed the Plan fee in subsequent Academic Terms.  However, you will not have to opt out again from the Plan during this policy year.  You will receive a reimbursement cheque each Term that you are assessed the Health & Dental Plan fee for the policy year.  for any special circumstances, go to the Health and Dental Plan Office in the SLC (Room 1121A) during the Change-of -Coverage Period.

Keywords: Dental Plan, Dental Plans, Graduate Student Association, Health Coverage, Student Health,

Contact Graduate Student Association


Print this page

Other products and services from Graduate Student Association


Health and Dental Plan Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Graduate Student Association (GSA), University of Waterloo

The newly combined FEDS/GSA Health & Dental Plans came into effect Sept. 1, 2006 and provides increased dental coverage for graduate students and new vision care coverage for undergraduate students, compared to the previous plan. Claims processing is delayed during the first two months of the Fall Term while waits for complete enrolment lists, after opt outs and enrolments have been processed.


Legal Aid – Graduate Student Association (GSA), University of Waterloo

Graduate students have an opportunity to consult privately with our lawyer, Mr. Cameron Trotter. The Legal Aid Clinic is a service provided monthly by the Graduate Student Association. The appointments take place at the GSA Boardroom on the 2nd Floor of the Grad House. Legal Aid – Graduate Student Association, University of Waterloo. Times are assigned on a first come / first served basis. There is no charge for a consultation appointment.


Donations to Departments, Clubs, and Charities – Graduate Student Association (GSA), University of Waterloo

Such a donation cannot be made to the same charity, or to two very similar special events, more than once in a calendar year. Donations to Departments, Clubs, and Charities – Graduate Student Association , University of Waterloo. The award must go to a single event open to all grad students, which the GSA will advertise in the e-news. This is a donation made to an incorporated charity or in support of a special event.


Income Tax – Graduate Student Association (GSA), University of Waterloo

The Tax Aid Clinics are held in March and April each year to help graduate students with their income tax forms. Consultations are scheduled approximately once a week prior to the deadline for tax form submission. A Tax Seminar is held for general information in March. Income Tax – Graduate Student Association. All the appointments have been filled.