Ontario Genealogical Society - indexes
OGS puts particular emphasis on the creation of indexes.
One major OGS project, for over 30 years, has been the recording of the inscriptions in all of Ontario 's cemeteries. Now that this project is almost complete, OGS has also started indexing the names on the inscriptions.
- This index includes names taken from transcriptions of the monumental inscriptions, cemetery records, and other sources that have been identified by various groups.
- Although most cemeteries in Ontario have been transcribed, not all cemetery indexes are included in this database at this time.
- The locator is a directory of cemeteries in Ontario. Volunteers have endeavoured to identify all marked, unmarked and abandoned cemeteries.
- Transcriptions may also be purchased from the local branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society.
- This is OGS's largest index.
- It contains data from censuses, birth, marriage and death registers, references in books, land records, ship lists, military records and a host of other references.
- Each entry points to the original source, which you can then look up for the complete reference.
- Currently there are over 2.8 million names - and it keeps on growing.