Carbon Monoxide Test Kits for Home and Office by PRO-LAB

By: PRO-LAB  09-12-2011

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas which is caused by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels from
  • Gasoline
  • Kerosene
  • Natural Gas
  • Butane
  • Propane
  • Fuel oil, wood or coal and any other type of fuel.
It is estimated that carbon monoxide causes as many as 1,000 deaths per year in the United States.Carbon monoxide gas can be emitted by
  • Fire places
  • Gas heaters
  • Gas stoves
  • Gas or oil furnaces
  • Wood, coal or gas dryers
  • Gas barbeques
Recommended test areas are: homes, kitchens, furnace areas, garages, cars, RVs, campers, boats,airplanes,wood stoves, fireplaces, space heaters and water heaters. How fast does the sensor work?

Concentration

Reaction Time

600 ppm (.060%)1-2 minutes
400 ppm (.040%)2-4 minutes
200 ppm (.020%)4-15 minutes
100 ppm (.010%)15-30 minutes
50 ppm (.005%)30-45 minutes

Note: Reaction time is slightly faster when damp, and slightly slower when dry. Caution: The sensor button will be damaged by halogens, ammoniac and nitrous gases. Keep away from cleaners, solvents and other contaminants. Harsh direct sunlight will bleach out sensor button and shorten useful life. Order a test kit today and breathe easier knowing that you are safe!
  • Do you have a gas or oil burning furnace in your home or office?
  • Do you have a working fireplace?
  • Do you have a gas clothes dryer?
  • Do you have a gas or oil burning water heater?
  • Do you have a kerosene, gas, or oil burning space heater?
  • Do you or someone you know start their automobile in the garage with the door closed?
If you answered YES to any of the above questions, then you and your family are at risk of suffocating to death by INVISIBLE and ODORLESS CARBON MONOXIDE GAS!

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide is a lethal gas produced in normal amounts whenever you use an appliance which burns a combustible fuel. Combustible fuels include gas, oil, kerosene, charcoal and wood. When proper ventilation of appliances becomes blocked, carbon monoxide concentrations build up inside your home and become deadly.Because carbon monoxide is invisible, tasteless and odorless, its victims may never know there is something wrong until it’s too late. It often takes the lives of whole families. Children and the elderly are the first to be overcome along with pets. Over 2,500* people in the United States will die each year of carbon monoxide poisoning and over 10,000 will be hospitalized. Most victims who lose consciousness may be left with permanent brain damage, mental and speech disorders, vision and hearing impairments, seizures, coma or death.Why Should I Worry?Carbon Monoxide quickly replaces vital oxygen in the blood which results in suffocation from the inside out. It could take as little as 3 minutes, depending on the level of concentration. Since you cannot see, hear, taste or smell carbon monoxide, the only way to protect your family is to recognize the symptoms and install a carbon monoxide detector.Symptoms to watch for:
  • headaches, drowsiness, dizzineess an confusion
  • nausea, vomiting and rapid heartbeat
  • unconsciousness, coma and death
  • everyone in the house is feeling ill at the same time
  • it feels as though you have the flu Common Causes of In-Home Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
  • Malfunctioning or improperly vented heaters and furnaces
  • Blocked passageways in chimneys and flues
  • Paint removers which contain methylene chloride and which the body absorbs and converts to carbon monoxide
  • Depressurization in the house (“backdraft”).
Understanding the Meaning of CO Concentrations
  • 9 ppm (0.0009%) Maximum allowable concentration for short term exposure in a living area
  • 35 ppm (0.0035%) Maximum allowable concentrations for continuous exposure in any 8-hour period
  • 400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal or slight headaches within 1-2 hours becoming life threatening after 3 hours
  • 800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea and convulsions within 45 minutes. Unconsciousness within 2 hours. Death within 2-3 hours.
  • 1600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, dizziness and nausea within 20 minutes. Death within 1 hour.
  • 3200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in 5-10 minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
  • 6400 ppm (.64%) Headache, dizziness and nausea 1-2 minutes. Death within 10-15 minutes. 12800 ppm (1.28%) Death within 1-3 minutes.
Professional Carbon Monoxide Detector by PRO-LAB®
  • Costs under $10.00
  • Adheres to wall or door
  • Spot turns gray or black when CO is present
  • Spot returns to original color when air is clean
  • Lasts for three months once opened
  • Laboratory tested for accuracy
  • Accurate and reliable results
  • Can also be used in boats, aircraft and RVs and more!
Once you have tested your home or office, you can then make any changes necessary to protect you and your family from further exposure to carbon monoxide. If you have any questions, please call PRO-LAB at 954-384-4446 to speak with an environmental testing specialist.
The information in this article was current at 06 Dec 2011


Other products and services from PRO-LAB

09-12-2011

Mold Test Kit - Home Safety Kits & Mold Testing

The PRO-LAB ® Professional Long-Term Radon Gas Test Kit, will give you an average radon level in your home over an extended period of time.PRO-LAB® Test Kits are available to the general public at over 40,000 leading home centers, hardware stores, pharmacy chains, supermarkets, and a wide category of specialty outlets.


09-12-2011

Radon in Water Test Kits for Home and Office by PRO-LAB

Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer and is emitted in homes from well-water during showering, cleaning, brushing your teeth, and doing laundry. Over 17,000 Homeowners are affected by water borne radon according to the U.S. EPA. Our Radon Test Kit for well water.


09-12-2011

Radon Test Kits for Home and Office by PRO-LAB

Cigarette smokers who have radon concentrations of 10pCi/L or higher increase their chance of developing lung cancer by as much as 18 times or 1800%.How Does Radon Get Into My Home Or Office?The greatest concentration of radon is usually found in the lowest level of homes or offices.


09-12-2011

Toxic Black Mold Test Kit by PRO-LAB

PRO-LAB® Test Kits are available to the general public at over 40,000 leading home centers, hardware stores, pharmacy chains, supermarkets, and a wide category of specialty outlets. If you cannot find the PRO-LAB® Mold Test Kit in any of the stores above, please call 954-384-4446 to purchase or to order online. The easy to use do-it-yourself test allows you to determine whether toxic mold spores are in the air that your breath.


09-12-2011

Water Quality Test Kits for Home and Office by PRO-LAB

Water with low pH can be corrosive to plumbing fixtures, hot water systems, and leave red stains on galvanized pipe, blue-green stains on copper, and may also release harmful amounts of lead into your water from solder joints and pipes. We know that man-made chemicals, the majority of which were introduced into society after World War II, have been poisoning our surface drinking water supplies for years.