Greek Heritage Canada | Supporting Greek Canadian Communities across Canada - events
- Pheidippides and the Battle of Marathon, 490 BC. Who ran? Who won? Who died? And what it means for every runner at STWM2010.
- Flame to ignite “marathon spirit and ideals” in T.O. — of world peace, fair competition, and sport as a way of life.
- Mayor Miller to run final leg of Marathon Flame Relay from City Hall to Exhibition Place, Friday morning, September 24th; proclaims “Marathon Week in Toronto”.
- Six Special Laurel Wreaths made from olive branches from the trees at the Battlefield of Marathon, Greece, to be presented to STWM2010 Champions by the Mayor of Marathon.
- Specially-commissioned “Oath to the Marathon” by Greek-Canadian poet Lydia Soldevila-Tombros
- Be a part of it! Run, Pledge, Cheer, Volunteer. The Weekend Schedule.
There will also be Greek music and dancing on the stage at the Expo on Friday, following the Lighting Ceremony; the Flame will burn at the Expo until Saturday night when it will be moved to Nathan Phillips Square for the actual Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon footrace on Sunday morning; the Laurel Wreaths will be presented to the race Champions at the Awards Ceremony at 12 noon; and a final Flame Extinguishing Ceremony will take place on Sunday at 2pm.