The Outreach & Organizing team provides information, referrals, workshops, and outreach & organizing services for tenants in the City of Toronto. The majority of our work focuses on assisting tenants in disputing Above Guideline Rent Increases (AGI), and we also help tenants fight demolitions or conversions, provide general workshops on tenants' rights, as well as information and referrals for tenants.
Our office phone number is 416-413-9442.
All of our services are delivered in plain language. Meetings are scheduled at a convenient time and place for tenants -- that means evenings, weekends, and any place in the City of Toronto.
- Workshops Our workshops are designed to be as comprehensive as possible. We cover all aspects of the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) as they relate to various groups of people, for example; people entering the rental market (students); New Canadians and Immigrants; Racialized Communities; and Community Agencies. Contact us if you are interested in having us facilitate a workshop for your organization.
Whether Tenants want to start a tenants' association, apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board, fight a demolition or conversion of their building or dispute an AGI, we can provide the resources and skills tenants need to help them work together and assert their rights.
Our services include:
- Analysis We help tenants review the landlords' AGI application, identify issues and determine what the increase is worth
- Tenant Defence Fund We help tenants apply for a Basic Support Grant or an Additional Support Grant from the Tenant Defence Fund
- Board Hearing Preparation We inform Tenants about the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) hearing process and advise tenants who choose to represent themselves how to prepare for their hearings at the Board
- Referrals We assist tenants in connecting with appropriate resources in Toronto
If you have any questions about starting a tenant association or hosting a workshop, please call us at
The Outreach & Organizing Team is funded by the City of Toronto Tenant Defence Fund