Being able to travel safely in your home and community helps you build confidence and enjoy going out where and when you want.
BALANCE for Blind Adults offers orientation and mobility instruction tailored to your daily activities and interests. Our experienced instructors help you feel safe, secure, and ready to explore your surroundings in new ways.
Orientation and Mobility instruction teaches you to:
- maximize the use of your hearing and remaining vision
- use objects, sounds and other clues in the environment to understand where you are located and plan where you want to go
- use a white cane to facilitate safe movement in buildings and in the community
- prepare for dog guide training and learn to work well with your dog after training
- learn to travel new routes with your dog guide
“BALANCE was a big help in gaining independence. I learned how to use my white cane to travel on the TTC and around the city. Now I feel confident going anywhere, and know I can make it home again.”