Heidehof’s mission for this program is to affirm, facilitate and support the independence of our senior tenants. Our philosophy of care under this program is:
- to recognize and support the family as a significant contributing member of the care-giving team;
- to recognize and support tenants rights, autonomy, and decision making;
- to promote wellness and a sense of self worth;
- to encourage independence and self direction;
- to recognize and respect, wherever possible, the culture, ethnicity, family traditions, community, language, and spiritual beliefs of each tenant.
Individuals have a right to accept or refuse health care, to obtain information about their health and health care, and to participate in decision making and planning for their care. Our goal is to help our tenants refine and elaborate his/her remaining abilities safely. Independence and responsibility are necessary for a meaningful life.
The on-site Assisted Living Services Co-ordinator provides appropriate referrals within the community. As a liaison she provides information about available community resources and helps tenants and their families use and understand the health care system. Support is provided during times of physical and emotional distress.
Heidehof currently provides a broad range of non-professional support (personal support and essential housekeeping) within its funded packages of services. Heidehof can assist tenants to access professional services (nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work, dietician, speech therapy) through a referral to Access Niagara.
Services currently available to tenants to our Edelweiss Seniors’ Rental Apartments and Lindenhaus Seniors’ Life Lease Apartments include:
- bathing / hair care
- dressing / undressing
- medication monitoring
- assistance with meals
- meal planning / preparation
- meal tray delivery service during periods of illness
- laundry / linen change
- essential cleaning
- reassurance and safety checks / visits
- escorting / transporting to medical appointments
A tenant is eligible for these services if:
- tenant is physically limited in meeting their personal care or homemaking needs;
- tenant’s family members are unavailable;
- tenants has had surgery or is unwell;
- an emergency arises, requiring immediate help.
The above services are currently available to tenants seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
To enquire about our Assisted Living Services at Heidehof, contact:
Anna Pacitto, R.N., Manager, Community and Supportive Housing Services
Heidehof . . . The People Place
600 Lake Street, St. Catharines, Ontario, L2N 4J4