Massage therapy is recognized as one of the oldest methods of healing. Massage therapy often referred to as bodywork or somatic therapy, refers to the application of various techniques to the muscular structure and soft tissues of the body that include applying fixed or movable pressure, holding, vibration, rocking, friction, kneading and compression using primarily the hands.
All of the techniques are used for the benefit of the musculoskeletal, circulatory-lympatic, nervous, and other systems of the body. In fact, massage therapy positively influences your overall health and well-being.
Physical and mental benefits include:
- relaxes your body
- loosens tight muscles
- relieves tired and aching muscles
- increases flexibility and range of motion
- diminishes chronic pain
- calms the nervous system
- lowers heart rate and blood pressure
- assists in recovery from injuries and illness
- reduces stress and tension
- aids in mental relaxation