Building a solid recovery
step by step
North Shore Health Associates provides a modern, relaxed atmosphere to encourage the natural healing that quality chiropractic care offers. Our trained professionals take the time to learn about your specific health issues, so that we can recommend the right course of action to start you on the path to recovery.
From our brand new facility in Port Dover, Ontario, we offer a wide variety of chiropractic-related services to address your individual health concerns.
Chiropractors practice a drug-free manual approach to health care that includes patient assessment, diagnosis and treatment. The Chiropractic adjustment is the most common form of treatment utilized in clinical practice. Also known as spinal manipulation, an adjustment is a non-invasive, manual procedures that utilizes the highly refined skills of the Doctor of Chiropractic. An adjustment is a carefully controlled procedure delivered to dysfunctional spinal and extremity joints. The primary goal is to decrease pain, improve mobility of the affected joint(s), and to decrease muscle tightness or spasm. The restoration of normal mechanics leads to improved functioning of the spine, extremities and supporting soft tissue structures.
Low force techniques are also available.
C. Myofascial release
to read/download more about our services in pdf format.
A Nonsurgical Solution to Low Back Pain
VAX-D , short form for Vertebral AXial Decompression, is a patented non-surgical therapy proven to be as much as 88% successful at treating chronic low back pain and sciatica, caused by bulging, herniated or degenerative discs, and facet syndrome. Even post-surgical patients and those suffering from stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal) have reported significant pain relief from VAX-D treatments. Over a series of relaxing treatment sessions, patients experience powerful pain reduction and healing.
VAX-D spinal decompression is accomplished by an intricately timed series of pulls, holds and releases over the course of about 45 minutes. Tension moves along the logarithmic curve, slowly ramping up, holding, then decreasing. VAX-D's biofeedback system adjusts this curve of tension specifically to each patient's need, making every session a truly individualized treatment.
Common conditions treated with VAX-D Spinal Decompression include:
- chronic or severe back pain caused by bulging or herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, sciatica, and/or facet syndrome
- diagnosed with a clinically unstable low back
- failed back surgery syndrome
- You have been told to consider surgery
BioFlex Laser treatments
North Shore Health Associates offers its patients the latest in light therapy care. Our revolutionary BioFlex system utilizes laser light to accelerate the healingprocess. Light energy (photons) delivered by the laser is absorbed by cellular tissues (muscle, bone, nerve and other tissues) and transformed into biomechanical energy which in turn is used to restore normal cellular function (enhancement of the healing process). Laser is a safe and effective treatment with the patient experiencing a slight warming sensation over the affected area. Patients can realize improvement in as little as six treatments (approximately 30 minutes in length).
Common conditions treated with BioFlex Laser Therapy include:
- back / neck pain
- heel and foot pain (heel spurs / plantar fasciitis)
- rotator cuff pain
- tendonitis / bursitis
- sport injuries
- extremity pain (wrist, elbow, knee and ankle)
- osteoarthritic / rheumatoid arthritic conditions
Magnetic Field Therapy is the application of magnetic fields on parts of the body to speed healing, relieve pain and inflammation, and improve bodily functions. Magnetic fields accelerate cellular regeneration by increasing both circulation and nutrient uptake to supporting structures. The device can be used to target a specific area, or to treat the entire body. Pulsating magnetic field therapy is suited to treating the following conditions:
- migraine headache
- sport injuries such as tennis elbow
- acute and chronic inflammation
- chronic and degenerative conditions
- metabolic and circulatory disorders
- muscle pain
- delayed wound healing
- fractures (non-union especially)
- implant surgery (i.e. hip, knee and shoulder)
Lack of proper care, ill fitting shoes and general foot neglect are responsible for the majority of foot problems. It’s important to understand your feet have a direct impact on the rest of your body and support you with each step. A small abnormality in foot function can have a large impact on joints higher up in the body, causing pain and discomfort.
GaitScan is a revolutionary diagnostic tool for assessing foot difficulties. Orthotics
are devices worn in your shoes that provide correction and assistance to your feet, helping them function more efficiently.
Ultrasound is a deep muscle therapy that is used in the clinic to aid in the healing process. Located inside the ultrasound head is a small crystal that vibrates rapidly causing a number of changes in the muscles and joints over which it passes.
These changes include:
- Dilation of blood vessels ~ this allows increased blood flow to injured areas allowing for quicker healing.
- Micro-massage of deep lying muscles and joints.
- Increased uptake of oxygen and removal of waste products, promoting proper healing.
- Ensures that new muscle fibers align themselves so that tissues remain strong and flexible.
All muscles and tissues in the body function on signals that originate in the brain and travel down the spinal cord. Low voltage / interferential therapy acts to stimulate muscles and tissues resulting in:
- Pain Control - by stimulating natural pain killers (endorphins / enkaphalins) produced by the body.
- A reduction in muscle spasm by resetting muscle fibers much like resetting a circuit breaker in your house.
- Exercising muscle fibers by causing their contraction. This leads to increased strength and prevents the likelihood of future injuries.
- Decreased swelling in the affected areas due to the pumping action created when muscles contract and relax (improved circulation).
“More is good” Stimulation of muscles should be comfortable. Tolerating uncomfortable levels of muscle stimulation will not speed up healing and in most cases will hamper recovery.
This machine is not the same as a heating pad. Radio waves set at a certain frequency (such as in a radio) travel from the machine through the patient, back through the machine (a repeating cycle). As theses waves travel through the affected area, they stimulate tissue structures causing friction, and in turn produce heat. Circulation is improved in the area being treated leading to a feeling of relaxation which aids in the reduction of mild muscle spasms.