Below is a general outline of the diagnostic imaging
services available at each facility. For more specific details, please
call our office.
Kawartha Diagnostic Imaging
Nuclear Cardiology Services – by appointment only
Myocardial Perfusion Imaging using thallium and Cardiolite®:
- These imaging agents are used to assess the presence, extent and severity of coronary artery disease.
- This type of test is done in conjunction with treadmill exercise. For patients who are unable to undergo a treadmill exercise test, a pharmacological agent called persantine is used to mimic the effect of treadmill exercise on coronary artery blood flow.
Ventricular function studies - (MUGA scans):
- This imaging test yields valuable information regarding the pumping efficiency of the heart.
*If you can't open the links above, it is likely that you don't have Adobe Reader. You can download Adobe Reader for free by following this link:
Pine Ridge X-ray
General X-ray imaging – appointment not necessary
As of April 1, 2008, technical fees for x-rays ordered by chiropractors
and performed in Independent Health Facilities are now covered
Bone mineral densitometry – by appointment only:
- Bone mineral density scans are used to assess bone mass or density. The scan takes 10 - 15 minutes with the patient lying on an imaging table. Generally, two areas are scanned; the spine and the hip. In some cases the forearm may also need to be scanned.
- Each patient will complete a health questionnaire prior to the test.
General Nuclear Medicine imaging – by appointment only:
- All nuclear imaging tests require a small injection of a radioisotope
tracer. The tracer should not make the patient feel any differently,
nor do the tracers conflict with other medications. The staff will
advise you regarding any special instructions which you need to
be aware of to prepare for the test.
Wheel-chair and special needs access
Both of these facilities offer wheel-chair access and plenty of on-site
parking. They are also served by both City of Peterborough Handivan
services and public transit buses.