Two data rate options:
- RGN-3 Family: Up to 2.7 Gb/s
- RGN-10 Family: 9.95 to 11.32 Gb/s
- Tunable – save on spares in DWDM applications
- Pluggable – flexibility for more applications
- Extended reach with forward error correction (FEC and SuperFEC)
- Enhanced performance monitoring
Regenerators can be used in a number of ways to extend reach. This saves money whenever placement of SONET/SDH or Ethernet transmission equipment can be avoided.
The optics on some transmission equipment, Ethernet in particular, can be very short reach (500 m to 2 km). Extending this reach up to 100 km can be done simply by adding a regenerator with long reach optics.
Any system can be extended for an unlimited distance by adding regenerators mid-span, as the 3R (reshape, regenerate and retime) function of the regenerator effectively cleans up the signal from chromatic and polarization mode dispersion. Regenerators can be used with amplifiers; amplifiers giving hundreds of kilometers of reach and regenerators placed when necessary to clean up the signal.
Transponders generally are the “on-ramp” to WDM, CWDM or DWDM applications.
Transponders perform conversions:
- Media (electrical to optical)
- Mode (multimode to singlemode)
- Wavelength (1310 / 1550 nm to CWDM or DWDM specific wavelengths)