Michael Borish and Company, Inc
Michael Borish And Company
Michael Borish and Company, Inc. is engaged in several areas of business activity that include public and private sector work around the globe. Functional activities broadly include:
- Financial and Business Sector Analysis: These evaluations are conducted by sector, country and/or region, and are measured against peer and global performance benchmarks. They can also be done on a firm-specific basis and by environmental factor.
- Strategic Planning for Businesses and Organizations: These efforts are based on market assessments, product/service offerings, financial scenarios based on sensitivity analyses, and recommendations. Recommendations are subject to SWOT analyses, while market assessments generally focus on risks, gaps and vulnerabilities. These can also focus on and link to environmental risks and challenges.
- Research and Dissemination: These outputs are generally through publications in internationally recognized journals and/or in conjunction with the World Bank and bilateral donors.
- These evaluations take account of banking sector indicators according to risk management-oriented CAMELS considerations, banking sector structure and systems profiles, financial sector infrastructure, and economic indicators. Diagnostics have been carried out in more than twenty countries, in some cases on multiple occasions to monitor for progress on a time series basis. Includes…
- 28 sub-categories.
More than 200 data sets.
Rating system to provide quantitative and qualitative evaluations.
Comparative assessment by peer group on a regional and global scale.
Most consulting in this arena has focused on banking and financial sector reforms and private sector development. These activities have primarily focused on the transition countries of Europe and Central Asia. Includes…
Policy reform at the bank and enterprise level.
Restructuring and privatization in the enterprise sector.
Banking sector restructuring and consolidation.
Improvements in the business environment to stimulate investment and sustainable growth.
Michael Borish and Company, Inc. has been involved in several post-conflict scenarios in which the design and implementation of lines of credit were essential for early reconstruction efforts. Such lines of credit have been designed and successfully implemented in Bosnia-Herzegovina (both Entities) and Kosovo. Includes..
- Design to provide needed lending to small- and medium-sized enterprises on a commercial basis.
- Financing vehicle consistent with sound, prudent commercial bank underwriting criteria.
- Bank incentives are consistent with market-based prudential norms, terms are serviceable for enterprises, and advisory services are available to assist businesses.
Consulting in the housing and mortgage finance sector has involved assessments of institutional development, policy, and market depth. In addition to several global assessments for USAID and the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, specific reviews and strategies have been conducted in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine , Serbia and FYR Macedonia. Includes.. .
Mr. Borish has served as Director of International Housing Finance at the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation since 2007.
- Housing and commercial property development trends.
- Extent of financing from the banking sector and capital markets (including issuance of mortgage bonds and degrees of securitization).
- Tax policy and incentives.
- Local government capacity for infrastructure and property assessments.
- Mortgage insurance.
- General requirements for medium- and long-term development.
- Comparative developments across countries to identify performance targets and benchmarks.
Consulting has involved working with farmers' associations, NGOs/PVOs and bankers to develop credit framework agreements, export financing mechanisms, and project development..
- Capacity comes from two years of on-site rural finance work and continuous consulting assignments in Africa and transition Europe.
- Specific investments and project design have occurred in Ghana, Romania and Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Significant work has been done in the design and implementation of lines of credit and guarantee funds in support of SME development. Work in these fields has been carried out in Africa, the Caribbean, Central Europe and the Caucasus Includes.. .
- Development of lines of credit in countries where banking systems have failed to function properly.
- Assessments of MFIs, cooperative banks and credit unions.
- Role and magnitude of micro-finance as part of the overall financial sector.
- Potential links between MFIs and larger financial institutions.
This service is available for new and established companies. Involves..
- Originating business plans for start-up enterprises.
- Developing workout plans for troubled companies.
- Designing growth strategies for expanding companies.
- Customizing performance indicators to monitor company results relative to peers and sector norms.
- Combining Activity Based Costing techniques with financial analysis tools to develop customized outputs for improved management, from near-term recommendations all the way to comprehensive strategic plans.
Environmental services include..
- Environmental capacity building and training of financial institutions and companies for environmental risk management and compliance with international and national environmental regulations.
- Development of environmental policies, procedures and reporting capacity for financial institutions, and Environmental Management Systems for individual companies.
- Environmental impact assessments of/for small, medium and large enterprises.
- Strategic planning, including sector-based approaches to managing environmental risks.
- Training in Cleaner Production and Environmental-specific trade standards such as ISO 14001, eco-labelling and Fair Trade.
- Development of economic sector-specific impact assessment guidelines for small-scale enterprises.
- Urban planning and enterprise development, including the issue of home-based entrepreneurship.
- Research and publication on a variety of enterprise and environmental issues.
- Project evaluation.
For more information, please visit our .