The Community Supports Services of the Brain Injury Association of Durham Region provides a variety of supports for people of Durham Region who have experienced brain injuries.
We assist people in CONNECTING to all sorts of services, agencies and supports that exist in our community; such as Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, health services, employment services and others. We provide INFORMATION about local services and assist people in making initial contacts and applications. We also assist people in STAYING CONNECTED by providing agencies and services with information about brain injuries that can help guide them as they provide services to people who have experienced brain injuries.
We SUPPORT people as they strive to address their own day-to-day needs in such areas as budgeting, transportation, household management, organizing, etc. We try to provide LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES to assist people in remembering daily activities, appointments and other useful information.
As we provide Community Supports Services to people of Durham Region who have experienced brain injuries, we are guided by the following PRINCIPLES:
- We will promote personal INDEPENDENCE by encouraging people to do as much for themselves as they can, to avoid people leaning unnecessarily on our services.
- We will promote the use of appropriate GENERIC SERVICES by
assisting people in seeking out the appropriate services for their needs
rather than providing it ourselves.
- We will strive to make the most effective USE OF LIMITED RESOURCES to address the support needs of the people we serve.
- We will be RESPECTFUL of each and every person we encounter.
- Support Groups for people who have experienced brain injuries and for families, friends, caregivers and others.
- Community support coordination/outreach.
- Social / Recreational Activities and Events.
- A resource library of books, articles, videotapes and audio tapes, etc.
- Injury Prevention Programs.
- BIAD Happenings Day Service/Drop In.