Whether you're married or single, with or without children, a will is something that you need. Our firm is experienced in helping our clients with the preparation of their wills. We don't have a "standard form" will; we tailor your will to your life situation. We meet with you to determine the nature and extent of your assets and how best to draft your will given your family situation. We will provide you with a draft to review and if everything is in order, we will meet with you again to explain the will to you and obtain your signature which we ensure will be properly witnessed.
Without a proper will, Ontario law decides who will receive your money and property. You'll not be able to appoint a guardian for your minor children. If you are separated, your separated spouse can inherit your entire estate. As well, you will not be able to choose the person who will distribute your estate, arrange your funeral and ensure that all your liabilities are paid.
Occasionally estate disputes arise and a Will or Executor must be challenged. We can help you with that.
Choose a topic for further information.
We can also explain to you how jointly held property including money left to beneficiaries in a will can prove ruinous to an estate plan. We provide you with a wills checklist to assist you in determining your estate plan which we find helps our clients in the will creation process.
- When did you last review your will?
- When did you sign your will?
- Are all your beneficiaries still alive?
- Are all your executors still alive?
- Are your beneficiaries and executors still the right choices for you?
- Have you married since the date of your will and if so are you aware that marriage revokes a pre-existing will?
- Are you separated from your spouse and if so do you know that separation does not revokes your will?
- Have your assets changed since your last will?