PSI Physiotherapy | Ottawa Physiotherapy, Ottawa Physiotherapy Clinics - neckpain
Psi Womens Health Centre
back pain, Muscles, Manual Therapy
Most people will experience neck pain at some point in their lives. It can be acute, lasting a few hours to a couple of weeks, or chronic, lasting several weeks or more.
Most neck pain is caused by poor posture at work or at home.
Signs and Symptoms may include:
- Pain in your neck that may feel sharp or dull
- Stiffness in your neck
- Difficulty going about daily tasks because of discomfort
- Shoulder pain
- Back pain
- Muscle strain or overuse, neck muscles become fatigued and strained
- Worn joints and osteoarthritis can cause pain and stiffness in your neck
- Disc disorders. As you age the cushioning discs between your vertebrae become stiff and dry. They can protrude and sometimes herniate, and spurs can form and press on the nerves as
they exit your spinal cord.
- Injuries, as in rear end collisions, often result in whiplash.
Physiotherapy will alleviate the symptoms using any or all of the following:
- Manual therapy techniques such as mobilization
- Exercises to mobilize joints or strengthen appropriate muscles
- Postural retraining and general conditioning
- Education in proper body mechanics and ergonomics
- The use of modalities such as TENS, ultrasound, acupuncture, heat or ice.
, Manual Therapy
, Manual Therapy Techniques