PSI Physiotherapy | Ottawa Physiotherapy, Ottawa Physiotherapy Clinics - neckpain

By: Psi Womens Health Centre  09-12-2011
Keywords: back pain, Muscles, Manual Therapy

Most people will experience neck pain at some point in their lives. It can be acute, lasting a few hours to a couple of weeks, or chronic, lasting several weeks or more.
Most neck pain is caused by poor posture at work or at home.

Signs and Symptoms may include:

  • Pain in your neck that may feel sharp or dull
  • Stiffness in your neck
  • Difficulty going about daily tasks because of discomfort
  • Shoulder pain
  • Back pain


  • Muscle strain or overuse, neck muscles become fatigued and strained
  • Worn joints and osteoarthritis can cause pain and stiffness in your neck
  • Disc disorders. As you age the cushioning discs between your vertebrae become stiff and dry. They can protrude and sometimes herniate, and spurs can form and press on the nerves as
    they exit your spinal cord.
  • Injuries, as in rear end collisions, often result in whiplash.

Physiotherapy will alleviate the symptoms using any or all of the following:

  • Manual therapy techniques such as mobilization
  • Exercises to mobilize joints or strengthen appropriate muscles
  • Postural retraining and general conditioning
  • Education in proper body mechanics and ergonomics
  • The use of modalities such as TENS, ultrasound, acupuncture, heat or ice.

Keywords: back pain, Manual Therapy, Manual Therapy Techniques, Muscles

Contact Psi Womens Health Centre

Email - none provided

Print this page

Other products and services from Psi Womens Health Centre


PSI Physiotherapy | Ottawa Physiotherapy, Ottawa Physiotherapy Clinics - backpain

A physiotherapist will provide a comprehensive assessment of your back to determine the source of the problem and will develop an individualized treatment plan to treat your symptoms and offer preventative advice.The plan may include. According to the Canadian Physiotherapy Association 70% of back problems are from daily activities and the remaining 30% from accidents and other forms of trauma.Back pain is the result of poor posture.


PSI Physiotherapy | Ottawa Physiotherapy, Ottawa Physiotherapy Clinics - acuteinjuries

Exercise is good for your overall health, BUT these activities can raise your risk of injury such as sprained joints and strained muscles.Proper care in the first days after injury can reduce your down time. If you do not have a decrease in pain or swelling you may need to go to your physician and also request a referral to see a physiotherapist.