Visual IDE for cross-platform software development
This video requires Flash version 8 or higher.
It Appears that you do not have the Flash Plug-in Installed or you have an older version of the plugin. Please update or install the Flash Plug-in to view this content.
Visual LANSA provides a comprehensive Windows-based integrated development environment for cross-platform software development. You can deploy applications to Windows, IBM i, Linux and Wireless devices. Visual LANSA uses a meta data repository and a productive high-level programming language to develop Web, Windows rich-client, 5250 and server-based applications. All these applications can be built using one easy-to-learn skill set from within the same visual IDE.
Advanced development made simple
Visual LANSA is a cross-platform software development tool tightly focused on just one thing — rapidly creating high quality commercial applications. It is much more than a productive visual IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Visual LANSA’s platform independent Meta Data Repository and high-level business-focused language, RDML (Rapid Development and Maintenance Language), lets you develop Web, Windows rich-client, 5250 and server-based applications — from a single code base.
Anyone who understands the essentials of fields, files and programs can rapidly develop flexible Web, Windows rich-client, 5250 and server-based applications with Visual LANSA.
The simplicity and power of LANSA’s RDML makes developing cross-platform software easier. Developers write applications using RDML, choose a platform for deployment and LANSA implements the applications in native code best suited for the platform. You gain the native performance benefit of compiled C/C++ or RPG but you debug at the RDML level. Moving your application to a new server platform is just a matter of redeployment.
You can develop applications with native/seamless access to IBM i, JDBC and ODBC-compliant databases — utilizing LANSA’s portable Meta Data Repository and fast open middleware.
Data definitions, business rules and algorithms are centralized in the meta data repository. This reduces development time for new applications and ongoing maintenance because the meta data is defined outside the program code. If any of the definitions or rules need to be changed, you only have to make that change in one place and it applies to all of your applications.
Develop Web applications with Visual LANSA
Visual LANSA simplifies designing and creating Web applications by hiding the underlying complexity of Web application development and automating common Web development activities. Developers can build Web applications starting from a blank page or use a wizard to guide them through the early stages of development.
Visual LANSA includes jQuery UI, comes with several ThemeRoller themes and supports JSON responses for AJAX requests. These features make it easy to build rich and dynamic Web applications.
Visual application development framework
The Visual LANSA Framework allows developers to prototype commercial applications rapidly without coding. It generates high quality Windows and Web application with a consistent look and behavior. It’s like having an experienced mentor sitting next to your developers.
Developers with classic IBM i (System i, iSeries, AS/400) skills – writing procedural RPG code or arranging a 5250 terminal screen – will find it easy to work with GUI design concepts and "hit the mark" with their first Windows or Web application. LANSA's visual application development framework has been used by developers for many different kinds of applications to ensure a "right first time" result. These applications are in use today by millions of users around the world.
Productive cross-platform software development for Web, Windows and IBM i
From one screen in the visual IDE developers can work with field and file definitions, validations, relationships and components stored in the meta data repository, as well as graphical data modeling for databases. The source editor in the visual IDE can take on Web, Windows rich-client, 5250, server-based applications, Wireless and modernization projects – all with the one easy-to-learn skill set. These features combine to improve developer productivity.
You can improve the productivity of developers with classic IBM i skills by using Visual LANSA to create both Web and 5250 applications. LANSA’s key differentiator is that existing 3GL and green-screen (RPG or COBOL) developers can learn the product and be more productive in a very short time — typically one to three months.
Non-IBM i developers will find learning to use the Visual LANSA IDE easy because it has a similar GUI and operates with the same principles as other well known visual IDEs.
Test and deploy to multiple platforms with ease
You can develop for a single system such as the IBM i or Windows today, then split and move programs and data — without changing source code — to a mixture of IBM i, Windows, Web and Linux platforms.
Test applications on a single Windows system and then deploy to whatever mixture of platforms you require at any time. From a single set of LANSA source code you can deploy client/server and Web applications on Windows, IBM i and Linux. Visual LANSA also provides an online client and remote server RDML debugger.
Advanced desktop integration
LANSA is renowned for easily integrating with existing IBM i applications. It comes as no surprise that Visual LANSA integrates easily with Windows applications and Microsoft Office. For example, use Microsoft Word as a print engine and easily create a telemarketing mailer from IBM i data.
The benefits of Visual LANSA
- Developer productivity – with less code to write, developers create applications quickly
- Rapid application development – using a visual IDE, an intuitive development language and application templates
- Reduced maintenance costs – separating business logic from application code reduces the number points where maintenance occurs when business logic changes
- Choose the architectural style – use object-oriented or procedural programming techniques to suit the nature of the application and the skill level of your developers
- React quickly to rapidly changing business needs – made possible by LANSA's methodology for software development
- Technology independence – developers build the applications and LANSA generates platform portable code and takes care of the technology needed for the implementation
Visual LANSA Features:
- Component-based development – for building reusable components and sharing across projects
- Object-oriented (OO) development and procedural style development
- Supports design patterns like MVC and SOA
- Build multi-tier applications and partition the application between the client and server
- Build rich-client applications
- Build Rich Internet Applications (RIA) for the Web including jQuery libraries
- Application generation wizards – create Web applications by answering a few questions
- Comprehensive portable language
- Platform portable meta data repository
- Platform portable database triggers and business rules
- LANSA enforcement triggers – apply business rules for every program that accesses a database
- Automatic screen generation – for rich-client, Web applications and 5250 screens
- Access databases on Windows servers from IBM i programs
- Visual application models – view entities and relationships with the LANSA Visual Modeler
- Intrinsic services – includes floating point and integer arithmetic and binary string conversions
- Long user identifications and passwords
- TSL/SSL encryption
- SQL support – create tables and views via SQL
- Multilingual and DBCS language support
- Integrated Microsoft SQL Server Express database for development and testing
- Integrated Microsoft C/C++ compiler
- Configuration management, task tracking and version control
- Visual LANSA’s fast, secure and scalable middleware – optimizes communications between the server and client components of the applications
- Independent developer or team development – Visual LANSA supports your choice of development team structure from individual developers to large teams
- Developer environments – XP, Vista, Windows 7 using Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, or Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere
- Windows installation and upgrade tools – the Visual LANSA installation is simple and fast, just answer a few questions to define your choice of deployment
- Advanced visual development environment – one customizable IDE for all projects
- Syntax checker and code completion – helps developers to create correct code quickly
- Programmable templates – library of business-oriented application templates
- Client and remote server debugger – the performance of C++ with debugging at the RDML level
- Deploy to single or multi-tier IBM i (System i, iSeries, AS/400), Windows and Linux servers
- Partition the application – decide where parts of the application will run, partitioned between the client and server dynamically
- Deploy client applications – deployment tools to distribute client-side application components
- Rich-client environments – XP, Vista, Windows 7
- Deploy Web applications to the Internet, Extranets and Intranets
- Deployment tool for rapid just-in-time deployment
- Web applications support Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer 7 or later
- Wireless applications – deploy applications for access via mobile devices
- IBM DB2 on IBM i (System i, iSeries, AS/400) servers
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Oracle on Windows, Linux and UNIX
- Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere
- MySQL database
- Unicode support for files