Version 4.4 released! ClaroRead for Mac V4.4 was released on the 20th July 2011.
The new ClaroRead Standard for Mac V4, released June 2009, boasts features unlike any other learning support software for Mac users. Plus, it is available on a portable thumb drive for easy access anywhere!
ClaroRead for Mac is a highly effective multi sensory software solution for supporting Mac users who struggle with reading, writing and learning. Designed with maximum simplicity, adaptability and flexibility, users of any age and level of ability will have a powerful proofreading, text-speaking solution in ClaroRead for Mac.
ClaroRead for Mac provides the tools to give Mac users independence and accuracy in written work. It can reduce reliance on tutors and support staff by providing accurate high quality proofreading, and turning any text into audio for listening.
ClaroRead for Mac is easy to use and provides the perfect integrated tool for use with Microsoft Word 2004 and 2008. Since ClaroRead for Mac is closely integrated with Microsoft Word, Safari and other Mac applications, any accessible text can be spoken aloud.
ClaroRead for Mac V4 Key Features
- Text to Speech helps users who have difficulty reading and writing by speaking text aloud for verbal confirmation - an ideal solution to verify that what is written is correct. ClaroRead for Mac comes with high quality, human sounded speech synthesizers. These allow for accurate reading of text on screen in an easy to listen to and clearly spoken voice.
- Microsoft Word integration allowing users to carry on using their preferred document writing software package but being able to have additional functions through ClaroRead.
- Font & Spacing helps to arrange and color the user's Word document in a way that makes the text easy to read.
- Word Prediction helps users with typing by providing a list of possible words the user is trying to type. Such a feature reduces the probability of misspelling or writing an incorrect word.
- ScreenRuler, an on-screen ruler, follows the mouse focusing the eye on the active area of the screen.
- Claroview, a screen color overlay, tints the computer screen for easier viewing.
- Homophone Support highlights these tricky words which sound alike but are spelled differently and have different meanings, such as 'there' and 'their'.
What's New in ClaroRead for Mac Version 4?
New For V4 - Visual Highlighting
The new focus sentence feature greys or dims out sentences in MS Word not being spoken by the ClaroRead voice. This is helpful for focussing the eye on the text, and also tracking the position in a document.
New For V4 - Research and Capture Information
The new ClaroCapture program included with ClaroRead for Mac V4 can collect text from any document and web page, grouping it as a project file. The research file can be sent to Word or PowerPoint. It can also extract highlighted text from Microsoft Word documents. A great study skills tool.
New For V4
ClaroRead Plus for Mac V4 now comes with a Scan button to launch Readiris Pro 11 OCR software. The highest quality Optical Character Recognition is now included in ClaroRead Plus, making it ideal for scanning or converting books, articles and other content to become accessible, readable and editable.
New For V4 - Word Check Window
The improved Word Check Window feature now integrates homophones, spelling suggestions and meanings in one window while working in Microsoft Word. There is also a dictionary lookup button that allows access to the Mac’s Dictionary. Any spelling corrections made in the Check window are remembered and can be reviewed later under the Check tab in the Settings pane. This information can be used to build a personal correction list which inserts the personal corrections above all others in the Check window.
New For V4 - ScreenRuler
ScreenRuler provides an on-screen ruler which tracks the mouse pointer to help focus on a particular area of the screen.
New For V4 - Word Prediction
ClaroRead for Mac V4 now includes a word predictor which learns as words are typed and can be trained from Word documents or the clipboard. There are a range of different settings to customize ClaroRead under the Prediction tab in the Settings pane.
New For V4 - Extras Button
The Extras button on the toolbar gives access to the other software bundled with ClaroRead: ClaroView, ScreenRuler and ClaroCapture. There is also a link to the Mac’s calculator giving quick access to this Mac application.
Improved For V4 - ClaroView for Mac
ClaroView for Mac will work with any piece of software, as it acts as an overlay on the Mac screen. With ClaroView, it is possible to change the color of the screens overlay from a whole color spectrum toolbar selection. The tint level can also be adjusted to make it brighter or darker.
Make the Mac Speak with a Human Sounding Voice
ClaroRead will speak back text as it is typed, allowing a student to check and proofread their work quickly and easily. Text can be spoken at any point by highlighting individual sections of text and pressing Play — great for proofreading.
Spoken words can be tracked using a custom color selection. Any accessible text under the mouse can be spoken if required.
Make audio files from text documents for listening to on the Mac or a portable audio player. Simply select and save — great for revision or listening on the move.
A Text to Speech Pronunciation Dictionary is available to modify the way words are pronounced.
Integration with Microsoft Word 2004 & 2008
ClaroRead for Mac V4 provides a single toolbar for use in Microsoft Word that combines a homophone and dictionary checker, font and spacing commands, a thesaurus, spell checker and a save to audio function. All have clear graphic icons for ease of recognition.
Font and Color Changing
When working in Microsoft Word, ClaroRead’s Font button can modify the font size, type, and color of the whole document easily.
Pressing the Font button when working in Microsoft Word will:
- Increase or decrease the font size.
- Change the color and highlight color of the text of a whole document easily.
Text character, line and paragraph spacing using Microsoft Word menus requires some detailed knowledge. ClaroRead makes it simple to space out text in Microsoft Word.
Pressing the Spacing button when working in Microsoft Word will:
- Expand character spacing.
- Change line spacing.
- Changes the number of points (spaces) after the end of each paragraph.
Homophones and Tricky Words
Homophones are words that are pronounced alike even if they differ in spelling or meaning, such as 'pair' and 'pear'.
ClaroRead Homophone features will:
- Mark in color all the homophones and confusable words in a document. Using the Check tab in the settings, additional tricky and confusable words can be added.
- The Check feature will list alternative words that sound the same, along with the meaning of each word.
- Word with Pictures: Over two thousand pictures included in ClaroRead, helping users to select the correct homophone or choice of wording. Pictures can be turned on or off.
Check Word - a Single Button Press
ClaroRead provides a single Check button for use in Microsoft Word that combines a homophone dictionary, thesaurus, reference dictionary and spellchecker, making the checking of the text and documents easier and more comprehensive.
ClaroRead for Mac V4 contains a Word Prediction feature that can be useful for certain computer users. ClaroRead uses a base prediction dictionary consisting of the most frequently used words in the English language. The dictionary learns as words are typed, and rejects words that don't pass the automatic spellcheck.
The Prediction window will automatically appear during typing.
Under the Predict tab in Settings, prediction dictionaries can be created by importing words from existing documents. Ideal for creating subject and curriculum specific dictionaries, it puts the tool into the hands of the teacher.
ClaroRead for Mac V4 introduces more applications and utilities to enrich the toolkit available.
ClaroRead Extras neatly groups together a range of accessibility utilities including ClaroView screen color filter, ScreenRuler reading ruler, Mac Calculator application and ClaroCapture.
The new ClaroCapture program included with ClaroRead for Mac V4 allows text to be collected from any document and web page, grouping it as a project file. The research file can be sent to Microsoft Word or PowerPoint. It can also extract highlighted text from Microsoft Word documents. A great study skills tool.
ScreenRuler is a separate application that is included with all versions of ClaroRead for Mac V4. ScreenRuler is an on-screen ruler that allows part of the Mac screen to be highlighted in a horizontal band.
ScreenRuler will assist anyone with viewing and concentrating on text or objects. It provides a strip or ruler across the screen that can edit the contrast, ruler size and gray or dim the background.
Our tinting product ClaroView is included with ClaroRead for Mac V4. ClaroView act as a colored overlay for the Mac.
ClaroView will work with any piece of software, as it acts as an overlay on the Mac screen. From a technical point of view, it will not interfere or clash with the video display.
Increased Configurability - Extensive Settings Options
ClaroRead for Mac includes editable Speech, Highlight, Pronunciation & Homophone Settings. The new settings features include:
- Echo characters, words, sentences whilst typing (all applications).
- Stop speaking after sentence in MS Word and pause speaking between words.
- Pronunciation editor for changing how the voice pronounces words.
- Highlight word by word, sentence by sentence or paragraph by paragraph (with text and background color choice). Requires Apple OSX10.5.
- Homophone and Tricky Word Spelling Editor - add new homophones, tricky words and additional spelling suggestions.
- Updated ClaroRead for Mac Toolbar.
Program and Application Compatibility
ClaroRead for Mac has been fully tested with the new Apple OSX Snow Leopard 10.6, and Microsoft Word 2008, as well as working on prior versions of OSX and Word 2004.