Calling All Members!
~Challenge format courtesy of CrossFit New England~
October 17 to December 17, 2011
Entry Fee: $30 (for prizes!!)
This is not a weight loss competition. This challenge is a way to better health and a longer happier life. Expect weight loss, performance improvement, energy increase (may be a roller coaster start), better sleep, and happier crossfitting or boxing!
What is Paleo Eating & Why Should I Do It??
How Does The FirePower 60-Day Challenge Work?
- Step #1: Sign up on the main board at the gym ($30 to front desk)
- Step #2: Decide on your risk for DNF’ing the 60-days…make it a good one!
- Step #3: Get your “Before” benchmarks done by Daniel Sonsini (see below)
- Step #4: Bring your best Paleo game face on Monday!
Before and After Benchmarks:
- Pictures: Front and back view (take yourself with least amount of clothing or have Daniel do it)
- Measurements: Body weight, waist circumference, and body fat. See Daniel before Tuesday Oct 18
- Performance: Cindy- 20 min AMRAP of: 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 squats. Note if scaling your workout, for post performance test you MUST use same scaled elements i.e. banded pull ups, push ups on knees, etc.
2. Maintain a food log
3. Record you daily scores on the FirePower Paleo Board
At the end of the challenge the top five performers will be selected based on:
- Men’s & Women’s Measurement Improvements: weight, waist and body fat
- Performance gains: Using “Cindy” WOD. Best % improvement
- Scoring: Points from daily nutrition log. Top score wins!
You will be required to keep track of your eating in a Nutrition log. From this log you will give yourself a score of 0-4 based on your compliance with the Paleo Diet.
Four Points: You are a hunter-gatherer. You eat nothing but meat, veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds.
Three Points: One time during the day, you had a little something that wasn’t paleo, but wasn’t horrible.
Examples: Most Condiments (bbq, soy sauce, ketchup, mayo, salad dressing), Small Dark Chocolate Square, Peanuts, Whey Protein, Hummus, Cream in Coffee, etc…
Two Points: You slipped…but didn’t get hurt. You had a small amount of “not real food”. Maybe it was a fully Paleo day, but you couldn’t resist having a beer at the family BBQ, or you finished your kids mac ‘n cheese, but the rest of your day was solid.
Examples: 1 beer/glass of wine, dinner rolls, a handful of fries/chips, rice, etc…
One Point: Most of your day was Paleo, but there was one full meal that you fell off the wagon.
Examples: Pasta, Pizza, more than one Soda/Juice/alcohol, bag of popcorn, etc…
Zero Points: You had a bad day and made more than one solid mistake.
Examples: You had a couple slices of pizza and beer.
NO BONUS POINTS FOR THIS CHALLENGE
In previous challenges, you would get one extra bonus point for everyday you participate in a CrossFit workout at FirePower. We felt this was a small incentive to cheat on your food since you could still earn a point. Train Hard. Eat Clean. Live Life.
Also in previous challenges you got an additional bonus point for every night you sleep more than eight hours. Proper sleep has been associated with everything from faster recovery, better mental focus, to more HGH production. We believe this is one of the greatest factors in improved health and want to reward those that are getting their zzzz’s.
Paleo Diet Food Guide Lists
Helpful ideas to ease food prep:
- Slow cooker
- Community Kitchen: recommend they pair up with another family to share prep & cooking of large batches
- Buy air tight containers & make week’s worth of raw veggies. Vikki will cut for cash! $15/hour. Her sister Alex will do it for $14.50! Bring your raw veggies and fruit to the gym with containers and bags & have them returned cut, washed & ready to eat. No more wasted veggies in the fridge because you didn;t have time to prepare them! Just grab & go…
- BBQ season – make extras!
Dining Out/Ordering In:
- Simply order chicken, fish or steak with veggies (no beans)
- Fajita without the wrap
- Any salad with chicken, fish or steak (oil & vinegar only for dressing)
In a pinch: keep an emergency stash of jerky in your car & almonds
- Protein Powder: use egg, hemp, limited whey, not soy/rice/pea
- Bacon: eat but in moderation i.e. 3 or 4x per week.
- Sweet potatoes are allowed in moderation
- Sneaky non-paleo foods: Corn, Potatoes, Milk, Yogurt, Cheese and all Dairy, Peanuts, Beans and all Legumes (soy)
Paleo Breakfasts Options:
- veggie omelet
- fruit and nuts
- steak and salsa
- Left over dinner
- Almond butter on anything!
- Left over dinner
- Paleo bars
- Jerky – watch the ingredients, most have soy or wheat
- Deli meat
- Salad with meat, watch the dressing
- Steak and guacamole
- Grilled chicken with mixed veggies
- Fish, steak or chicken veggies