Reebok CrossFit FirePower’s 45-Day Paleo Challenge: Wed Oct 19th to Fri Dec 2nd
It’s baaaaack! Reebok CrossFit FirePower’s 45-Day Paleo Challenge! Get on the Paleo wagon and see for yourself what all the hype is about. Expect to feel great, get stronger, loose weight, increase energy, and sleep like a baby. This is a perfect time to start before the Christmas holiday’s AND may be a good prep for something else planned early in the new year…Stay tuned for that.
*A quick meeting will be held Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 7:30pm to go over everything and have Q&A’s.*
Here’s how it works…
Entry Fee: $40 (for prizes!!)
This is not a weight loss competition. This challenge is a way to better health and a longer happier life. Expect weight loss, performance improvement (CrossFit, boxing, and sports), energy increase (may be a roller coaster start), mental clarity, craving control, and better sleep!
Step #1: Sign up on the main board at the gym ($40 to front desk)
Step #2: Decide on your risk for a DNF before the 45-days…make it a good one!
Step #3: Get your “Before” benchmarks done by Daniel Sonsini aka Paleo (see below).
Step #4: Bring your best Paleo game face on Wednesday, October 19, 2011!
Before and After Benchmarks:
Measurements: Body weight, waist circumference, and body fat. See Daniel (Paleo) before Saturday, October 22. You can bring in a before and after front and back profile picture if you wish.
Performance: “Angie”- For time: 100 pull ups, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats (Complete all reps of the movement before moving on to the next). Note: If scaling your workout you MUST use the same scaled elements for your post-performance. i.e. banded pull ups, push ups on knees, etc.
What is Paleo Eating & Why Should I Do It??
2. Maintain a food log.
At the end of the challenge the top five performers will be selected based on:
1. Men’s & Women’s Measurement Improvements: weight, waist and body fat
2. Performance Gains: Using “Angie” WOD. Most improved time.
3. Scoring: Points from daily nutrition log. Top score wins!
You will be required to keep track of your eating in a Nutrition log. From this log you will give yourself a score of 0-4 based on your compliance with the Paleo Diet.
Four Points: You are a hunter-gatherer. You eat nothing but meat, fish, vegetables, some fruit, nuts/seeds, healthy fats (olive/coconut/avocado/walnut oil, avocado, coconut, etc.
Three Points: One time during the day, you had a little something that wasn’t paleo, but wasn’t horrible.
Examples: Most Condiments (bbq sauce, soy sauce, ketchup, un-natural mayo, salad dressing), small dark chocolate square, peanuts, whey protein, hummus, cream/milk in your coffee, etc.
Two Points: You slipped…but didn’t get hurt. You had a small amount of “not real food”. Maybe it was a fully Paleo day, but you couldn’t resist a small something.
Examples: 1 beer/glass of wine, a bite of bread or dinner roll, a handful of fries/chips, a forkful of paste/rice, etc.
One Point: Most of your day was Paleo, but there was one full meal that you fell off the wagon.
Examples: small bowl of pasta/rice, slice of pizza, slice of bread, more than one soda/juice/alcoholic beverage, bag of popcorn/chips, etc.
Zero Points: You had a bad day and made more than one solid mistake.
Examples: You had a couple slices of pizza and beer, a pound or more of wings with beer, tub of ice cream with peanuts and chocolate/candy, bowl of pasta/rice with pie for dessert, etc.
NO BONUS POINTS FOR THIS CHALLENGE
In previous challenges, you would get one extra bonus point for everyday you participate in a CrossFit workout at Reebok CrossFit FirePower. We felt this was a small incentive to cheat on your food since you could still earn a point. Train Hard. Eat Clean. Live Life.
Also in previous challenges you got an additional bonus point for every night you sleep more than eight hours. Proper sleep has been associated with everything from faster recovery, better mental focus, to more HGH production. We believe this is one of the greatest factors in improved health and fitness but want to keep this challenge strictly food. GET PLENTY OF SLEEP! 8-10 hours a night.
Need Help?? Here’s More Resources:
Helpful ideas to ease food prep:
- Slow cooker. Plug it in and leave it. Can make plenty of leftovers.
- Buy airtight containers & make a week’s worth of raw veggies. Quick and easy in a pinch.
- Make your food and recipes in bulk! You can freeze them and thaw them out when needed. Tastes just as good!
- Have a paleo cooking night with family/friends once a week where you each take turns making a dish. Fun and interactive.
- Share ideas, recipes, and food! Use the Forum!
Dining Out/Ordering In:
- Simply order chicken, fish or steak with veggies (no beans, starch, or sauce). Have all the spices and herbs you want!
- Fajita without the wrap and sour cream. Ask for extra vegetables and guacamole.
- Any salad with chicken, fish or steak (oil & vinegar/lemon/lime only for dressing). No dried noodles, cheese, or croutons.
- Non-breaded and baked chicken wings with no sauce. Or dry BBQ ribs with no sauce.
In a pinch :
Keep an emergency stash of jerky in your car & nuts. Larabars are also a quick and easy option.
- Protein Powder: PROGENEX will be allowed without a penalty.
- Bacon and sausage: eat but in moderation i.e. 3x per week.
- Sweet potatoes are allowed in moderation.
- Eat fruit in moderation (1-2 servings per day depending on your goals).
Sneaky non-paleo foods :
Corn (it’s a grain), potatoes, all dairy (milk, any type of yogurt, cheese),
all legumes (peanuts and all beans), any soy/wheat based products.
Paleo Breakfasts Options:
1. Veggie omelet
2. Fruit and nuts
3. Steak and salsa
4. Left over dinner
1. Almond butter on anything!
4. Left over dinner
5. Paleo bars
6. Jerky – watch the ingredients, most have soy or wheat
7. Deli meat (try to get low sodium and sulphite free)
1. Salad with meat (watch the dressing, peanuts, noodles, croutons, etc.)
2. Steak and guacamole
3. Grilled chicken with mixed veggies (steamed or grilled veggies with no butter)
1. Fish, steak or chicken with veggies
- 2. Same as your lunch
Customized Meal Plan:
Want a customized meal plan? Book with . Everything is customized according to your goal(s), body type, and activity level with a ton of easy and tasty paleo recipes!