The advantages of Elite Corporate Fitness Programs go far beyond simply being an attractive employee perk. As workplace wellness programs become more popular and widespread, many companies are finding that a small investment in the health and wellbeing of their employees yields a much greater return than they ever expected.
Healthy, active individuals make better, more productive employees. But unhealthy, sedentary employees can actually detract from your profit margin.
Studies show that:
- The cost of employee absence is approximately $8.6 billion annually.
- Work absences are increasing due to personal reasons such as illnesses or disabilities.
- Stress-related illnesses cost employers in terms of absenteeism, higher insurance claims, lost efficiency and lost productivity.
- Canada’s workforce is aging. Older workers (55-64) average twice as many sick days as their younger counterparts. Benefit costs and absenteeism will likely escalate if older workers do not improve their health.
- Employees who smoke cost companies between $2,308 and $2,613 more per year than non-smoking employees.
The goal of these initiatives is to offer a wide variety of programs with the intent to attract different types of people into the program, boost morale and improve corporate culture. From the management level to the front line staff, understanding human behaviour and relationships is absolutely imperative for an organization to be successful.
The information in this article was current at 06 Dec 2011