Om Worx Belleville Ontario FAQ
Granite, Concrete Countertops, Custom Concrete
Features, Benefits, Costs and Care of Concrete
- Why should I use concrete in my bathroom or kitchen?
- Concrete is a unique and practical product that can be made to suit your individual needs, be virtually any shape, size or color and stands up to everyday wear and tear.
- What are the advantages of concrete countertops over granite or marble?
- Concrete is the only material that allows for complete customization. Unlike traditional marble or granite counters, your concrete counter will be a one-of-kind piece that can be cast into any shape.
- What is the cost of a custom concrete counter compared with other popular stones?
- It is important to understand that there are many factors that contribute to the cost of a custom countertop. With concrete several factors can increase the cost such as thickness, imbedded objects, and intricate design details. You need to remember that your piece is being created by hand specifically for you.
Standard concrete countertops are 1.5 inches thick and cost between $60-120. Granite and Engineered Quartz ranges in price from $100-200.*
(*Source: HGTV Kitchen Design's Guide to Kitchen Countertops)
- Is concrete a good choice for outside countertops, fireplaces or entertaining areas?
- Yes, concrete is an excellent choice for outside use and is superior to both granite and tile in withstanding the elements. Concrete is the favoured option for outdoor use because it offers easy maintenance, durability and endless design options for outdoor entertaining.
- Can I cut on concrete surfaces?
- As with marble and granite, it is not recommended to cut directly on concrete. Cutting boards can be imbedded into your custom counter.
- Can I put a hot object directly on a concrete surface?
- Concrete is an almost indestructible product and is in itself heat resistant. The sealer used on the concrete however is susceptible to extreme heat and so hot mats are recommended.
- Can concrete countertops chip or crack?
- Although this is an extremely durable product, it can, like all stones, chip or crack. Hairline cracks can appear over time but this is not a structural issue and is thought to add character and beauty to the piece. Unlike other popular countertop materials, most concrete chips or cracks can be repaired on site.
- Do concrete countertops stain?
- Acids, especially red wine, vinegar, mustard and lemon juice, can stain this porous material if not cleaned right away. Luckily, a spill does not have to mean disaster, as if the stain does not enhance the character and beauty of the piece, then most stains can be removed by light buffing and resealing by the contractor.
- How do I clean and care for my concrete counter?
- The best way to clean concrete is to use a mild soap and dish cloth. Do not use an abrasive pad or cleaning product. Your contractor can recommend an easy to use wax that should be wiped on every few months to prolong the lifetime of your one-of-a-kind concrete piece.
The information in this article was current at 06 Dec 2011
, Custom Concrete