David W. Harrison Ltd
David W. Harrison
David Harrison has 17 years experience in planning and real estate development. He also has 10 years executive experience managing and building successful organizations focused on sustainable economic development.
He is a successful communicator and provides value-added directions for community-based projects and planning initiatives. Please contact us for a list of clients and project profile information.
Facility Planning and Project Management Services:
- Project management
- Development consulting
- Proposal writing
- Facility planning
- Feasibility studies
- Planning approvals
- Community consultation processes.
- Affordable housing projects
- New technologically-enhanced schools
- Municipal facilities
- Church redevelopment projects
- Long term / seniors care facilities
Site Selection Services: Our site selection service has been used to successfully locate many facilities in Nova Scotia, having a total value in excess of $450 million, including:
- The new NSCC Waterfront Campus
- Colchester Regional Hospital
- Northwood Continuing Care Centre
- Six “P3” schools.
The process incorporates a ranking method and an assessment of technical factors aligned tothe type of facility being sited. Our process is transparent, focusing on risk management, and ensuring that the righ tdecisions are made for the right reasons.
Community / Master Planning:
Community and master planning services include the development of area-wide plans, incorporating sustainability and economic development strategies, as well as the use of design charettes and public consultation processes. Expert witness at Utility Review Board hearings.
Our strategic planning approach is firmly rooted in implementation and can be tailored to suitany budget. Capacity building drawson our strong knowledge and experience with public-private partnering, organizational development and community economic development.
- President, David W. Harrison Ltd. since 2001
- Vice President of Nova Learning Inc. (a “P3”school development company), 1997-2001
- Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Industry Association, 1995-97
- Executive Director, Dartmouth Chamber of Commerce, 1986-1994
- Policy / Urban Planner, Halifax County Municipality, 1983-1986
- Research Associate, Canadian Federation of Independent Business, 1981-1982
- Research Associate, Ontario Federation of Agriculture and Ontario Land Corporation, 1980-1981
Qualifications and Training:
- Strategies for Gaining Community Acceptance CMHC “NIMBY” Workshop, 2010
- Social Enterprise Development Learning Sessions, 2009 & 2010
- LEED Training, 2008
- International Trade Certificate, Forum for International Trade Training, 2002
- Certificate, Canadian Institute for Organization Management, 1994
- Honours Degree, Urban and Regional Planning, Ryerson University, 1981
- B.Sc., Trent University, 1979
- Canadian Institute of Planners2008 Award of Excellence for Housing, with Affirmative Industries
- Several school / infrastructure awards, with Nova Learning Inc., 1997-2001
- Dartmouth Chamber of Commerce Award of Appreciation, 1995
- Chamber of Commerce Executive Director ofthe Year (Canada), 1994
- Conference Board of Canada Business-Education Partnership Award (NS), 1994
- Atlantic Provinces Chamber of Commerce Business Development Award, 1994
- Nova Scotia Environmental Control Council Award of Merit, 1988
Memberships / Affiliations:
- Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP)
- Member of the National Affairs Committee and rep on CMHC’s National Housing Research Committee.
- Chair of CIP’s National Healthy Communities initiative.
- Chair, Building for Independence (Affirmative House) Facilities Management Committee
- Board Member, Nova Scotia Waterfront Development Corporation Ltd., 2000-2007
- Board Member, Jazz East, 1998-1999
- Panel Member, Enterprise Forum, 1993-94
The information in this article was current at 06 Dec 2011