With the introduction of the Host Dashboard in DotNetNuke, it allows us to get information about our installation of DNN and what the configuration of the web server, database, and what modules we are using within the framework.
One of the Dashboard controls that is missing is the ability to manipulate the web.config file, this file controls how the framework operates and the web server connects to the database for the site. One of the security concerns when implementing a DotNetNuke framework portal is the lack of support for encrypting the configuration settings within the web.config file. This is not a major concern if you are hosting the site within your own server as you can control who has access to the file system. But it may be a concern if you are implementing your portal on a shared server.
We have created a solution that has the following features:
- Integrates into your DotNetNuke portal as a Dashboard control.
- Easily encrypts and decrypts your connectionstrings, app settings and smtp settings.
- Module is compatible with DNN 5.2.2 and higher
- Uses built-in ASP.NET functionality for encryption
- Allows backup and restoration of config file
- Easily edit your config file without leaving the framework
- Auto backup before saving changes.
- Easy deletion of backup files not needed anymore.
Installation is managed from the Host dashboard.