New Alliance Immigration Services » Services

By: New Alliance Immigration Services  09-12-2011
Keywords: Work Permit

Statement of Limitation:  The information in this website is aimed to provide general information only and is not meant to provide legal advice.  Plain language has been used with the intent to help the reader understand some of the statutes and regulations affecting the topics herein at the date it was written.  The reader should follow the more detailed wording and requirements of current applicable statutes and regulations even if they contradict the wording and requirements in this website.

Other Services


To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen:

  • You must be at least 18 years old to apply for Canadian citizenship.
  • You must not be the subject of an immigration investigation, an immigration inquiry or a removal order (an order from Canadian officials to leave Canada).
  • You must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children do not need to meet this requirement.
  • You must know enough English or French to understand other people and for them to understand you.
  • You have no criminal history prohibitions.
  • You must understand the rights and responsibilities of citizenship, such as the right and responsibility to vote in elections. You must also have an understanding of Canada’s history, values, institutions and symbols.

You then need to apply for Canadian citizenship, take the citizenship test and attend the citizenship ceremony to become a Canadian citizen.

PR (Permanent Resident) Card

As Canadian permanent residents, you and your family members need to present you valid PR card when you travel outside and return to Canada.

To renew a PR card, you must meet the residency obligation of having been residing in Canada for at least 730 days within the past 5 years.  You may count the days outside of Canada in some circumstances.


Labour Market Opinion (LMO)

To hire a foreign worker, Canadian employers need to apply for LMO from Service Canada.  Some job offers are exempt from LMO.

Your prospective foreign worker needs a copy of the LMO, if needed, to apply for their temporary working permit.


Work Permit

To work in Canada, you may need to apply for a temporary work permit.


The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is responsible for decisions on immigration and refugee matters.

It has three divisions in operation:

  • The Refugee Protection Division (RFD) decides claims for refugee protection made by persons in Canada.
  • The Immigration Division (ID) conducts immigration admissibility hearings for certain categories of people believed to be inadmissible to, or removable from, Canada under the law and conducts detention reviews.
  • The Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) hears appeals of sponsorship applications, appeals from certain removal, appeals by permanent residents outside of Canada found not to have fulfilled their residency obligation.

Keywords: Work Permit

Contact New Alliance Immigration Services


Print this page