dB Audiology works with hearing aid manufacturers from around the world. Working with as many providers as possible broadens the choices for our patients. This allows our audiologists to evaluate all types of technology for effectiveness and durability. All of the hearing aids we recommend are Class 2 Medical Devices.
Styles of Hearing Aids
There are 5 different styles of hearing aids:
Open Fit / Thin Tube
Open fit hearing aids are typically small behind the ear hearing aids that attach to a very thin tube that transmits the sound into the ear. They are non-occluding (dont feel plugged up) which means they leave the ear relatively open for natural sound quality. Open fit hearing aids are designed for mild to moderate or high frequency hearing losses.
Behind the Ear BTE
Behind the Ear hearing aids sit behind the ear and are attached to a standard tube that transmits the sound into the ear. BTE hearing aids are traditionally larger for more power and use a larger battery. This larger size of device along with a larger battery can sometimes be of benefit to those with greater degrees of hearing loss and those who have difficulty with manual dexterity. BTEs require, in most cases, a custom fit earmold.
In the Ear ITE
This is a custom fit device that completely fills the concha portion of the ear. This style often has a larger battery with larger controls. This type can be beneficial to those with more serious hearing losses or those who have difficulty with manual dexterity.
In the Canal / Half Shell ITC
In the Canal and Half Shell hearing aids look similar to the In the Ear models but cover half of the concha portion of the ear. This is a custom fit device that typically has a smaller battery and less room for options.
Completely in the Canal CIC
This is smallest custom fit hearing aid. The entire unit fits into the ear canal, provided there is enough room. They use the smallest size battery and offer few extra options due to lack of space.
- Your hearing in quiet and mild background environments should be improved but, your hearing in loud background noise will not be improved.
- Soft speech should be audible, average speech should be comfortable and loud speech should be uncomfortable.
- Your own voice may initially sound hollow or artificial but will eventually be acceptable to you.
- There should be no feedback (whistling) when the hearing aids are properly seated in your ears.
- Your hearing aids will take time to get used to. The performance will improve gradually as you become used to amplification.
- Your hearing aids will not restore your hearing capabilities to normal or pre-existing levels.
- Hearing aids do not eliminate background noise.
- Musicians Earplugs are designed to protect hearing while preserving all the subtleties and richness of music. Other earplugs, particularly foam, muffle sound so music and speech are not heard distinctly.
- ER-9, ER15 and ER 25 are custom made and attenuate sound 9, 15 and 25db in a uniform fashion.
- ER-9 has also been by sports referees to attenuate the whistle sound while still being able to communicate with other people.
Custom made Earplugs for Noise
- Custom fit earplugs provide outstanding noise protection for a variety of recreational and occupational environments.
- The corded option allows wearers to place the plugs over their necks when not wearing them.
- Sleeping earplugs are available in soft materials for extra comfort.
- Sports referees (see Musicians Earplugs ER 9)
- Floatable Swimmer Earplugs
- Floatable swimmer earplugs are custom made with a super soft hydrophobic silicone material and offer the best protection available in an array of colours.
Custom Molds for Work / Bluetooth
- SoundPort Flex
Customized wireless communication. The custom fit earpiece anchors the bluetooth headset creating an open lightweight system that communicates wirelessly with your cellphone. Added benefits include more volume as the custom fit earpiece blocks the exterior sounds and a flexible boom microphone that provides superior outgoing voice quality in noisy surroundings.
- Pilot Molds
Custom made lucite shell for maximum comfort and security with headset.
- Earborne Headset
Designed as a lightweight headset mold that provides a secure comfortable fit for phone work.
- Stethescope Mold
Designed for a stethescope adaptor for a more comfortable fit for those in the healthcare field.