Now that you have purchased your recliner or recliner covers you will need to know how to take care of them to make your furniture look nice and to last longer. Whether your recliner material is made out of leather, cloth, or any other material you know how to clean it yourself without having to come too much out of your pocket.
Most recliner slipcovers nowadays are very easy to take care of. All you have to do is take them off and throw them into the washing machine. If you did not buy a slip cover to protect the upholstery on your recliner then you can use the following to clean and take care of your recliner upholstery.
Cleaning Cloth Material
1. Make sure that you remove all of the cushions that are loose.
2. You will have to get rid of the loose dirt by using a brush or a vacuum that has a brush attachment that goes with it.
3. Make sure you vacuum all of the surfaces on the recliner making sure you get in the side, back, arms, and cracks.
4. Vacuum the cushions to and then replace them back on the recliner.
5. You can use a mild detergent but make sure that it does not have bleach or whiteners in it. Add one-fourth cup of detergent with some warm water. Use a hand blender or a mixer so that you can create suds from the mixture. You will have to make suds because this is what you will be cleaning the upholstery with.
6. With a soft cloth or sponge apply the suds to the material and lightly scrub over it. You will see the dirt come up in the suds.
7. Use a dry towel to remove the suds and the extra moisture.
8. Lastly allow the furniture to dry overnight.
To Clean Leather Upholstery
1. Use a mild facial soap with warm water to clean your leather upholstery. Use a soft rag that will not harm your furniture. When cleaning make sure you really pay attention to the headrest and the arm rest where most of the dirt and body oils will accumulate.
2. Rinse with lukewarm or cool water and dry off with a towel.
3. When cleaning leather make sure that you use distilled water so that the chemicals in regular tap water will not cause any discolorations.
4. After you cleaned and rinsed the leather wipe it off with a white towel to make sure that you know it is clean.
5. Every now and then you can apply one part vinegar and two parts of linseed oil to clean your furniture.
When you are done cleaning your leather upholstery it will be a good idea to apply a leather protectant to your furniture. Wipe up the spills as you make them, do not wait until they have embedded in the material. Never use baby oil on your furniture or baby wipes on your leather.
If these cleaning techniques do not work for the material on your furniture or recliner then you can search the internet for more or hire a professional that will clean your furniture. Just make sure you read the manufacturers instructions and make sure you take extra cautions when putting substances on your recliner upholstery.