Committee Meeting Minutes
October 6, 2010 7:00pm
Committee Members present: Mark Visscher, Wayne Rempel, Kelly Popow, Sandi Stewart, Jenna Klippert, Jyl Talsma, Anna Marten, Sue Young.
A. Changes/Additions to Agenda/Sept 21 Minutes
- Music for the Heart Concert
B. Treasurer’s Report
- with the addition of the Bottle Drive Money and several contributions, our account is now at $16,819.
- County will pay their donation in 2 parts: half when construction half done, rest on completion
- Mark’s presentation to the Rotary Club went well
C. City Council and Admin update
- Wayne’s update to Council was well received. They were pleasantly surprised at the our progress
- The City has requested that all construction bills be paid through our City account
1. Package Updates (Jenna, Kim)
- in-kind sheet will indicate that this is subject to final construction plans, perhaps indicate landscaping opportunities
- problems with printing the 3D concept and examples of donor signage. Sue will look into this.
- Jyl is prepping fundraising packages in order to begin approaching community and corporate donors.
- Jenna is waiting for package completion and budget/financial info
- Jyl reports that we are eligible to apply for a grant from the Red Deer and District Community Foundation (next deadline April 1)
- Mark reports that there is potential for a donation from Alberta Highways
- Sandi reports that we are eligible for a Community Spirit grant – they will match personal donations only
- Will hear in Nov in regards to our CFEP application (provincial)
3. Bottle Collections
- Kelly is preparing a cargo van, which will be placed on Popow land directly across from the Tim Horton’s drive-by – we felt this was a more secure and higher traffic location. When the van is ready, he will organize a youth paint day.
- Anna volunteered to speak to the Bottle Depot to see if we can get at least one month for donations
4. Bar Fundraising Nights
- Anna has been working hard on this. She has lined up 5 or 6 bands willing to participate, as well as Chris Rawlick. The first one will take place at Under the Hill. There will be a cover charge, and perhaps a guest shooter table – all proceeds to go to the skatepark. Hopefully a 50-50 draw, but we need to get permission from Alberta Gaming. Date will depend on how long it takes to get permission – we are hoping November sometime. Anna will keep the Committee posted as to her progress on this event and can get help with posters for this event from Kim.
- We will still keep Ugly’s in mind, perhaps for end of January, beginning of February
- Wayne mentioned the possibility of getting silent auction items from such companies as West Jet (perhaps for Ugly’s?). However they would need a lead time of about 2 months.
5. Other Fundraising Ideas
- Anna is working on change containers to be placed at gas stations, grocery stores, perhaps banks.
- Mark will check on possibility of getting the Committee onto a waitlist to work one night at one of the casinos in Red Deer
- Jenna and Wayne to look into Tim Horton’s Smile Cookie Campaign. Music for the Heart concert, Nov 24 at the LMC – being put on by Kim and C.J. Berube. They will donate $5 of each ticket sold to the Skatepark! The Committee has volunteered to help in any way needed.
E. Location concerns
- this keeps coming up, in particular with the concern of one of the council candidates. Sue will ask Wayne to speak at this Candidates meeting.
- we again discussed reasons for the location at Michener, for Anna’s benefit: several not included in last set of minutes – campground groundskeeper on site, good access, there is a good sight line both from the highway and houses close by, any location will be too far for some, problems will arise regardless of location
Next Meeting: Wed Nov 3, 2010, 7-9 PM, Rotary Room LMC