Travel insurance is insurance that is intended to cover financial and other losses incurred while travelling, either within one's own country, or internationally.
Trip insurance can usually be arranged at the time of booking of a trip to cover exactly the duration of that trip or a more extensive, continuous insurance can be purchased from (most often)[travel agents, travel insurance companies or directly from travel suppliers such as cruiselines or tour operators.
The most common risks that are covered by travel insurance are:
- Medical expenses
- Emergency evacuation/repatriation
- Delayed departure
- Loss, theft or damage to personal possessions
and money (including travel documents)
- Delayed baggage (and emergency replacement of essential items)
- Overseas funeral expenses
- Accidental death, injury or disablement benefit
- Legal assistance
- Personal liability and rental car damage excess
- Loss of income