Grief can sometimes feel like waves that come and go, rushing you with emotions. The heartache can leave us numb – but memorializing our loved ones can help us get through it. Honoring the life and joy that your loved one brought to youÂ is a great way to start moving forward in your own life.
Memorial scrap quilt
Create a scrap quilt by turning your loved ones old clothing into a quilt. You can use any fabric or pattern to create a nostalgic quilt that will keep you warm with memories.
Music has a calming effect on people. It is a way to express your emotions without having to say a word.
If you play an instrument or enjoy singing – create a song honoring your loved one and it record it on tape, CD or to your computer. It will be something you can holdÂ close for years.
Plant a memorial garden
Create a scrapbook
Putting together a scrapbook might be difficult at first, but once the initial emotions have set in, you can create a book that will honor your loved one. Including pictures, favorite readings and poems, stories and fond memories.
Personalizing their headstone
If your loved one was passionate about a certain cause or charity, you can make a donation in their honor. You might also consider creating your own charityÂ in honor ofÂ your loved one.
Create a scholarship
CreatingÂ a scholarship in your loved ones name is a great way to keep their memory alive. Others will benefit from your generosity and your loved ones name will live on.
Create a memory book
- Start a book with your loved one’s picture, name and any special information about them. Write your favorite memories about their life and the time you shared. After you finish, put your book into a shipping box.
- Write out a list of close friends and family members with their addresses. Include yourÂ name and addressÂ at the end of the list.
- Include a pre-paid credit card for postage.
- Include a note to your friends and family. Ask them to write their favorite memories of your loved one and any pictures they would like to share. Ask them to then send it on to the next person on the list.
- Send it to the first person on the list.
- Once you get your memory book you will have pages full of uplifting stories and joyful memories to hold close and honor your loved one.
Whatever way you choose to memorialize your loved one’s life will be special and be cherished forever. You can’t go wrong when speaking from your heart.
Special thank you to boobook48Â and Rickydaivd for the beautiful pictures via Flickr