ESET File Security |
| The Best Protection for OpenSource
File Servers & Desktops |
| ESET Antivirus for Linux File Servers (LFS) runs
seamlessly on all mainstream Linux distributions (RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE,
Debian and others) and FreeBSD. The small footprint and fast performance
makes NOD32 optimally suited for real-time or on-demand protection of
your Linux File System Servers. |
| Key features |
- ThreatSense technology a single optimized anti-threat engine
for analyzing code to identify malicious behavior such as viruses,
spyware, adware, phishing, and more.
- Unprecedented heuristic analysis capable of discovering new
malware threats as they emerge.
- Powerful virtual PC emulation technology enables unpacking and
decryption of all types of archives and run-time packing.
- User-friendly installation and simple configuration.
- Does not require external libraries or programs except for libc.
- Flexible six-level infiltration and activity logging.
- Uses both the on-demand and on-access scanning techniques to
secure and protect the entire file system and running processes.
- Provide file access control over Samba, Nettalk and NFS.
| System requirements |
- OS Linux (Kernel 2.2.x, 2.4.x and 2.6.x, glibc 2.2.5 or higher)
- 5MB hard-disk space and 8MB RAM
- Dazuko kernel module 2.0.0 and higher
| Supported Distribution packages |
- RPM for RedHat, Mandrake and SuSE distributions
- DEB for GNU/Linux Debian
- TGZ for all other Linux flavors
- TGZ for FreeBSD
| System architecture |
| NOD32 for LFS consists of on-demand and on-access
scanning modules. The on-demand scanner performs scanning of the
selected file system upon user request via command line. Using standard
Linux operating system schedulers, various periodic scanning tasks can
be pre-defined. The on-access scanner daemon provides real-time
monitoring of the entire file system. File scanning is triggered by user
or system events that result in file access calls by the Linux kernel.
The file infomation is passed on to the NOD32 scanning engine. Depending
on the scanning results a predefined action on the file is triggered.
File access can be allowed or denied and the appropriate log output is
| Version 3.0.15 |
- fixed some RTP archives unpacking
- fixed notification scripts for FreeBSD
- updated manual pages
- esets_dac(EFS): fixed deadlock on FreeBSD
| Version 3.0.14 |
- fixed RA client password login to RA server
- fixed license loading in Turkish locale
- fixed memory leak in ThreatSense.NET
- esets_wwwi: enhanced statistics
- esets_smfi (EMS): using also server's Received header
for spam recognition
- esets_http (EGS): URL whitelist
| Version 3.0.13 |
- esets_http (EGS): fixed premature interrupt of
| Version 3.0.12 |
- http server for modules local mirror
- changed default of av_clean_mode from rigorous to
- esets_daemon: changed settings for ThreatSense.NET
- esets_imap (EMS): corrected performance with Mozilla
- esets_http (EGS): fixed threat log in virus notification
- esets_http, esets_icap (EGS): optimized URL blocking
| Version 3.0.11 |
- support for FreeBSD 7
- added system dependencies into 64-bit rpm packages
- fixed listing of network interfaces with unknown
- esets_daemon: fixed license issue for EAV BE
- esets_daemon: continuing even after failed first-time
anti-spam modules update
- esets_daemon: fixed startup with only expired licenses
- esets_cgp (EMS): CommunigatePro filter
- esets_scan (EFS): supported ADS scanning
- esets_scan (EFS): activity indicator for pipe/file
- esets_icap, esets_http (EGS): fixed URL blocking cache
- esets_ssfi (EGS): added man page
- esets_wwwi: quarantine support
- esets_wwwi: updated php to 5.2.8
- esets_quar: fixed samples sending and listing, new
- esets_quar: supported separate quarantine for all users
- esets_inst: enhanced compatibility with qmail
| Version 3.0.10 |
- revisited products documentation
- esets_daemon: fixed memory leak
| Version 3.0.9 |
- fixed definition of groups of modules for mirror
- esets_daemon: corrected algorithm for loading of the new
- esets_update: corrected first time update
- esets_scan (EFS): fixed definition of multiple excludes
- esets_scan (EFS): no first time update required
| Version 3.0.8 |
- esets_daemon: no Internet access required for
- esets_daemon, esets_update: fixed invalid
username/password issue for update
| Version 3.0.7 |
- esets_daemon: fixed Remote Administration client reload
- esets_daemon: fixed unfinished scanlogs sending by
Administration client on Solaris
- esets_daemon: secured communication socket removal
- esets_daemon, esets_update: corrected groupadd and
- esets_daemon: suppressed long timeouts when terminating
- esets_daemon: fixed samples submission system reload
- esets_wwwi: fixed esets_daemon reload on Solaris
- esets_update: added verbose actualization process output
- esets_scan (EFS): fixed file scanning on read-only
| Version 3.0.6 |
- added checking of user specified TMPDIR environment variable
- support for MAILBOX format scanning
- esets_daemon: fixed ESETS_RECIPIENT environment variable
- esets_inst: added full paths of Postfix binary files
- esets_update: fixed parsing of update.ver info file
- esets_wwwi: fixed relocation error on Solaris
- esets_wwwi: corrected excesive back slashes
- esets_wwwi: added product version check
- esets_http (EGS): support for multipart content type
- esets_dac (EFS): fixed handling of big files (> 2GB)
| Version 3.0.5 |
- corrected esets user switching
- enhanced compatibility of Remote Administration client with
- fixed higher memory consumption of daemon agents
- esets_update: corrected defaults setting
- esets_scan (EFS): enhanced filename character encoding of
- esets_icap (EGS): ICAP server for scanning HTTP messages
- esets_wwwi: added login/logout control
| Version 3.0.4 |
- esets_daemon: added control of syntax errors in main
- esets_daemon: added anti-virus scanning limits for maximum
object size and for maximum object size in self-extracting
- esets_wwwi: enhanced compatibility with Solaris
- esets_smtp (EMS): correction of TLS support in MTA Postfix
- esets_scan (EFS): fixed automatic scan of local disks
(command line option '--auto')
- esets_scan (EFS): correction of multiple directories
- esets_scan (EFS): fixed Remote Administration client logging
| Version 3.0.3 |
- Fixed antispam scanning for unprivileged daemon
- Fixed antispam loading on 64-bit Debian
- Fixed package extraction on Solaris
- Fixed non-english messages
- Updated PHP to version 5.2.6
| Version 3.0.2 |
- technology ThreatSense v3.0
- configuration, logging and handle object policy rewritten
- added Remote Administration client
- additional supported OS: NetBSD 4, Solaris 10
- support for 64-bit Linux OS: native binaries (except
- esets_http (EGS) - support for non-transparent ftp scanning
- esets_ftp (EGS) - added huge object handling
- esets_zmfi (EMS) - ZMailer's content-filter
- libesets_pac (EFS) - available for all platforms
| Version 3.0.1 |
- 64bit systems support
- Added possibilty to run ESET components under user accounts
instead of superuser account
- Added support of FTP communication scanning in manual HTTP
| 2.71.12 |
- esets_daemon: added information USERSPEC into daemon log and
daemon notification script
- esets_daemon: correction of infiltrations information passed
- esets_cli (EMS): correction of action evaluation when
multiple files scanned
- esets_ssfi.so (EGS): support for SafeSquid of version 4.2
- esets_http (EGS): support of CONNECT method for user defined
| 2.71.11 |
- esets_smfi (EMS): implementation of predefined response of
server using SetReply.
- esets_http (EGS): correction of deleted objects handling
| 2.71.10 |
- esets_http (EGS): correction of not scanned objects
| 2.71.9 |
- esets_ftp (EGS): correction of random stuck of passive
connection when STOR command used
| 2.71.8 |
- new product ESET Gateway Security (EGS)
- existing products NOD32LMS and NOD32LFS were renamed to ESET
Mail Security (EMS)
- and ESET File Security (EFS)
- antispam engine (EMS)
- esets_daemon: periodic update of antivirus and antispam
- esets_update: update utility
- esets_imap, esets_pop3 (EMS): IMAP and POP3 filters
- esets_http, esets_ftp, esets_ssfi.so (EGS): HTTP, FTP
- and SafeSquid plugin
- esets_wwwi: web administration interface
- esets_lic: license utility
- esets_setup, esets_inst: user-friendly system integrator
| 2.70.11 |
- Compatibility with 64-bit Debian OS
| 2.70.10 |
| 2.70.9 |
| 2.70.8 |
| 2.70.7 |
- nod32d: Fixed bug with opening files in quarantine
| 2.70.6 |
- nod32d: Fixed bug in memory allocation/deallocation with
connections established through a proxy server
| 2.70.5 |
- nod32update: Fixed starting of nod32umc and nod32upd.
| 2.70.4 |
- nod32update: Fixed issue with download timeout.
- nod32d: Improved signal handling regarding download
- nod32set: Automatic section creation, if not exists.
| 2.70.3 |
- nod32d, nod32update: More accurate waiting on update
completion, fixed bug in memory freeing.
- nod32update: Fixed issue in finding directory with binary
- nod32smtp (LMS): Mail's header pollution bugfix.
| 2.70.1 |
- nod32d - Added support for scanning of unwanted
- nod32d - Added functionality to update and reload anti-virus
- Added possibility to define scanner parameters individually
according to the client/server identification.
- Added possibility to define update parameters via main
- More evaluated product installation mechanism. The
installation package does not contain NOD32 modules any more.
These are downloaded during the product first initialization
stage, if necessary. The package installation process is more
user friendly now.
- nod32d - Enhancement of the license expiration warning
The mechanism does not block the scanned objects processing
after license expiration, only deactivates the anti-virus
scanning functionality and starts
sending the expiration report notification about scanner
deactivation to system administrator.
- Command line interface testing functionality of NOD32 agent
modules is fully replaced by the testing functionality using
agent identification parameter 'aid'.
- Major changes in documentation.
| 2.52.6 |
- nod32 - Command line parameters support of scan-timeout,
max-archive-level and tmp-dir in on-demand scanner.
- nod32 - Implementation of new command line parameters
in on-demand scanner.
- nod32 - Fixed bug related with the determination of
from scanning using command line interface.
- libnod32pac.so - SELinux support implementation.
| 2.52.5 |
- nod32d - Fixed bug in thread manager.
| 2.52.2 |
- Better system coordination based on maintenance of all
resident agent modules services by using main system daemon
'nod32d' (Start of resident agent modules is controlled by
parameters 'agent_enabled' of the main NOD32 configuration
- Implementation of so called actions policy in 'on-access'
scanner, i.e. possibility to define a variety of actions
depending on the scanning result.
- Unified logging system of all the modules.
- Implementation of nod32set module to provide comfortable
modifications of NOD32 configuration file.
- Update of the product documentation (changed structure, new
- End of the product development for FreeBSD OS version 4.X.
(technical support stays for NOD32BFS 2.51.x). The reason is
insufficient support of libc.so.4 library used in FreeBSD OS
| 2.51.8 |
- nod32 - license handling fixed in on-demand scanner module
| 2.51.7 |
- nod32_update - implementation of mechanism to solve critical
states during update
- correct handling of restart statement within initialization
scripts of deb packages
| 2.51.6 |
- fixed parsing in e-mail header for logs
- fixed bug in state of scan (clean vs. not scanned)
| 2.51.4 |
- Performance improvements in NOD32MDA
- Minor bug fixes in NOD32MDA
- Implementation of maximum archives descension level of scanner.
- Implementation of maximum scanning time (soft limit).
- Implementation of maximum unpacked archive size limit.
- Quarantine functionality implementation.
- Support for logrotate of internal daemon logging output.
- nod32umc: selective download of groups of component modules.
- Samples submission system re-implemented as individual process automanaged by main daemon.
- License expiration warning mechanism added.
- Better temporary files handling.
- Daemon--agent communication stability fixed.
- Support for scanning of uuencoded messages.
- nod32lfs - selfextracting archives support added
- nod32lfs - adware and unsafe applications scanning support added
- nod32 - prompt action added into on-demand scanner
- nod32 - fifo pipes scanning bug fixed
- nod32umc - return values problem fixed
- support for Linux Kernel 2.6.x
- support for FreeBSD 5.x
- nod32upd (possibility to create mirror even if base directory is not defined)
| 2.04 |
- nod32 (possibility to add exclusions to the scanlist)
- nod32 (simple activity indicator)
- nod32 (logging format changed)
- nod32 (debug log level added - reports all scanned objects)
- nod32 (correct handling of symbolic links)
- nod32 and nod32fac (scanner modules versions info available)
- nod32unc (possibility of obsolete modules removal)