LEAP is the award-winning system designed to:
- help economic developers assess area strengths and weaknesses,
- identify critical factors holding back economic growth,
- identify opportunities for business attraction, and
- prioritize targets for economic development.
LEAP can also be viewed as a tightly-integrated bundle of tools which provide economic developers with an unprecedented ability to diagnose their local competitive position and design strategies that build on strengths and minimize weaknesses. LEAP has won national recognition awards from the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) and the Council for Community and Economic Research (C2ER, formerly ACCRA).
EDR-LEAP® is the new version of LEAP that includes a web-based software system and data service. EDR-LEAP® is owned and provided by Economic Development Research Group, Inc., and is registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office, Reg. 3,106,561. The system is used by local and regional economic development agencies for:
- Completing CEDS (Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy) reports
- Prioritizing future plans for improving economic development
- Ongoing evaluation of local economic performance,
- Targeting efforts for business attraction.
It is applicable for areas seeking to better diversify their economic base, become more attractive to growth industries, expand the quality and pay level of available jobs, reduce dependence on stagnant or declining industries, or improve business stability by enhancing supporting and complementary activities.
EDR-LEAP and its components have been successfully applied in many states, including Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, New York, Oregon, and Tennessee. It has also been adopted by the Appalachian Regional Commission for use by its Local Development Districts and other non-profit economic development organizations in thirteen states.