Dr. Kamps Website
Motor Skills, Motor Skills Training
Dr. Paulene Kamps works with children, teens, parents, teachers, pediatricians, family physicians, occupational-therapists, physio-therapists, speech-language therapists, and/or other professionals to determine what may be causing difficulties in many areas of functioning – this includes problems with behaviour, attention, academic achievement, social skills, and/or physical activity (motor performances). She provides her services in two main ways:
- via her private practice (which involves assessments with children and/or consultations to parents and teachers)
- through an intervention program she refers to as: KAMPS clinics- which is a very specialized program of motor skills training and practice.
Specifically, when parents contact Dr. Kamps about their child's difficulties and ask her to test their child, she will conduct a thorough psycho-educational assessment. This typically includes testing in the cognitive, achievement, social/emotional and other behavioural realms. However, her area of specialization is the motor domain. Therefore, based on the parent's referral question(s), Dr. Paulene Kamps frequently works with children who may eventually be diagnosed with attention difficulties (e.g. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD and/or ADHD-Inattentive), learning disabilities in any number of areas (e.g. reading, writing, math, expressive language, etc.) and other conditions. Any one or a combination of these conditions usually have negative effects on a child’s ability to learn, socialize, and/or participate in physical activities and recreational events.
However, because of her specialization in the motor domain, unlike most other psychologists, Dr. Kamps is also able to conduct a thorough investigation to determine if poor motor skills (e.g., messy printing or writing to problems when throwing, catching, or hitting a ball) are related to specific conditions such as cognitive delay, Asperger Syndrome, Autistic disorders, other Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDD), Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), and/or other conditions.
In addition, as mentioned above, Dr. Kamps provides specific strategies and motor skill training to help your child or teen learn and practice new motor skills. This is conducted through her KAMPS clinics - also known as KAMPS motor skills training program. At the KAMPS clinics, we operate on the assumption that children and youth can use their strengths in the cognitive/intellectual domain and be taught using visual, verbal and kinesthetic techniques to learn and acquire basic motor skills. Such strategies and techniques have worked positively with many children assisted by the KAMPS clinics. Based on room space(s) and the availablity of other clinicians, Dr. Paulene Kamps often works with other professionals and para-professionals when offering the KAMPS clinic.Finally, because of her passion for this domain of functioning (psycho-motor), Dr. Kamps is pleased to provide workshops, consultations, and other public presentations on her topic of interest. Read about this option in the section below.
Types of Services
The following services are offered to help address your child's difficulties:
Evaluation and Assessment
- Psycho-educational assessments, including:
- An oral and written report. Reports are very thorough and written in a parent-friendly format. Uncommon psychological terms are explained in detail using simple terminology, along with examples of the types of activities your child participated in during the testing sessions. And Dr. Kamps uses many diagrams and graphs during the oral report feedback,
- Recommendations, teaching strategies and instructional tips to help your child in his/her area of difficulty. These recommendations are based on information that she has learned over many years of teaching, Dr. Kamps’ own parenting experience with four children, working with other parents and professionals, and knowledge gained within traditional academic settings (e.g. information presented in university classes, workshops, conferences, special education presentations, etc.)
Motor Skills Training Programs
- KAMPS clinics - a specialized program for children who experience difficulty with gross motor skills.
- Conducted in small groups so children will realize that they are not the only student who experiences motor difficulties. Each program contains four to five sessions. During the first session, the child(ren) and parent(s) are shown the strategies that Dr. Kamps will use to teach motor skills.
- The remaining sessions are conducted for the students only -- without their parents. This is planned on order to reduce any feelings of inferiority or embarrassment -- should the child make a mistake while trying their new skills. This ‘child only setting’ results in a safe and effective environment for each learner to gain and practice their new skills.
- KAMPS clinics are held at a central location: 3818 - 14 A Street SW, Calgary, AB
- Private, one-on-one sessions with children for specific skill development, such as learning to ride a bicycle. However, one-on-one sessions may be held in a different location than a gymnasium.
Workshops and Presentations
- For parents, teachers, professionals, teenagers, and others. Dr. Kamps gives presentations on a large variety of topics including: learning about different types of personalities, what a cognitive assessment really measures and how it relates to classroom activities, learning difficulties, DCD, and other similar subjects. However, she absolutely loves to present on DCD (Developmental Coordination Disorder) as this is her area of passion!
, Motor Skills Training