Shirodhara | Whistler Healing Arts
Whistler Healing Arts
Unique to Ayurveda is the continuous flow of warm oil onto the head and scalp. Shirodhara is one of the great purification and rejuvenating therapies.
Warm oil poured on the forehead is one of the most divine, relaxing therapies one can experience. ‘Shiro’ means head, and ‘dhara’ means steady flow. When people get up from this therapy, a healthy glow radiates from their eyes, and skin. People look years younger. Eyes gleam with tranquility while the lips wear a smile of serenity. Shirodhara helps with conditions of the head and the mind. It restores neck, eye, ear, nose, throat and nervous system imbalances. It also relieves insomnia, asthma, cholesterol, enlarges prostate, ulcers, rheumatism etc., and it is used to heal difficult diseases like diabetes, epilepsy and schizophrenia.
It's a very simple and relaxing therapy, warm oil is poured on the forehead. It's a divine and relaxing method - a great rejuvenating therapy that gives a healthy glow, radiates from skin. This therapy is meant for 'Shodhana'- the eradication of the basic cause of the disease. 'Shodhana' or purification therapy is not only meant for elimination of disease-causing toxins but also to replenish the tissues with nourishment. Rejuvenate literally means 'to make young again'.
In Ayurveda, rejuvenating therapy is the golden way to attain longevity, as it is aimed at the preservation of health. Ayurveda says that rasayana or rejuvenating therapy optimises the circulation of nutrients to both body and mind. Shirodhara eradicates the root cause of the disease and a rejuvenating therapy as well.
- Shirodhara is meant for eliminating diseases of head and Vata disorders affecting neck, eyes, ears, nose and nervous system;
- It helps to overcome stress and its ill effects on nervous system;
- It helps to relieve insomnia, stress, tension, anxiety, anger, chronic headaches, rheumatism, hypertension, asthma, hair problems; and gives mental relaxation;
- Shirodhara is curative as well as rejuvenating process as it eliminates lots of diseases and improves vitality;
- stress management
- stimulates the 'bliss' hormone
- reduces or alleviates headaches
- reduces or alleviates depression
- reduces or alleviates anxiety
- pacifies emotional disturbances
- strengthens hair follicles
- strengthens refraction errors around the eyes
- promotes a nice complexion of the face
- promotes a calm face, eyes and smile
- endows a person with sound sleep
For relaxation purposes it can be used occasionally or weekly. The Ayurvedic physician determines the number of days of treatment for different problems. With weekly sessions, you will find relief from stress and strain from daily life. To achieve the maximum benefits from the therapy, it is advisable to follow Ayurvedic lifestyle. An Ayurvedic physician decides appropriate foods, exercise, yoga and herbal preparation to optimise the benefits.