Roads and Transportation
Craigflower Bridge and Admirals Road
The District of Saanich and The Town of View Royal are pleased to invite you to attend our first public open house for the Admirals Road Corridor Improvement project. We will be holding this public meeting on December 7th 2011 from 2:00pm to 8:00pm in the Council Chambers of the View Royal Town Hall located at 45 View Royal Avenue.
Admirals Road connects the municipalities of the District of Saanich (Saanich), the Town of View Royal (View Royal) and the
Township of Esquimalt and crosses the Gorge Waterway on the Craigflower Bridge. It carries 18,000 vehicles per day including
almost 1500 trucks. It has been designated as a Strategic Corridor by the Capital Regional District (CRD). The bridge is 78
years old and coming to the end of its useful life.
On September 8th, 2011, $10 million from the Federal Gas Tax Fund was awarded to the District of Saanich and the Town of View Royal for the upgrade of the Admirals Road corridor, from the Old Island Highway to Cowper Street. This upgrade includes the replacement of the Craigflower Bridge, located just north of the Old Island Highway. We anticipate the start of construction in mid 2012.
- Information Gathering Workshop – October 3, 2011
- Public Open House – Conceptual Design – December 7, 2011
- Public Open House – Detailed Design – Early 2012
Design and Construction
- Conceptual Design – November 2011
- Detailed Design – December 2011 to January 2012
- Permitting and Approvals – February to April 2012
- Tendering – May 2011
- Construction Start Target – June 1st, 2012
Our objective is to build an environmentally friendly bridge. Some key aspects include; improved pedestrian and cycling facilities, provision for fishers, preservation of historical significance, and improved storm water management.
On October 3, 2011 the project team hosted an information gathering workshop to communicate the key aspects of the project, the project schedule, and to compile
- How can the new bridge be of more value to you?
- How would you define “Success” at the end of this project?
- In your opinion, what aspects of the construction will have the greatest impact on you?
Watch this site for details and dates regarding the consultation process. We look forward to updating the web site as this significant project unfolds.