Family Dentistry, Cosmetic & Sedation Dentistry
dentistry, Cancer, Latex
| | | |
| | |
From our children-friendly office to our working parents-friendly hours, our practice is geared toward all aspects of family dentistry.
- Our focus is on a family-oriented practice with a preventative approach.
We are open on evenings and Saturdays.
Smileworks Dentistry provides the following services:
- teeth whitening or bleaching
- white inlays, onlays and fillings
Gum disease, not tooth decay, is the major cause of tooth loss. We provide the following services in periodontal therapy:
- hygiene maintenance
- pocket reduction
Untreated gum disease can increase the chance of heart disease.
Implants replace missing teeth and are the closest thing to having natural teeth.
Implants also prevent the bone resorption that occurs after tooth loss.
We use several different implant systems and the most suitable type is decided after the consultation.
Wisdom teeth or third molars are the last teeth to develop in the jaws. In a large percentage of the population these teeth become impacted. This means that they do not have space to erupt normally into the mouth. They can be partially or completely impacted. If they are partially impacted, the gum tissue around the erupted portion of the tooth can act like a pocket, trapping food and causing pain, swelling and infection. When wisdom teeth are completely embedded in the bone there is about a 3% chance that cysts or tumors can develop around them. A very small percentage (0.02%) has shown to develop malignant tumors. Why does this happen around impacted wisdom teeth? All teeth have a sheath or covering that bursts open when the teeth erupt into the mouth. When a tooth, such as an impacted wisdom tooth, does not erupt into the mouth, the sheath can accumulate fluid and cause cysts or the cells of the sheath can multiply and cause tumors. So if you decide not to have your wisdom teeth extracted, it is advisable to keep these areas under observation.
- When wisdom teeth do erupt normally, they are harder to clean because of their position in the mouth. They also have a higher propensity to develop cavities as they have deeper fissures on the biting surface. If these teeth do need root canal treatment, the chances of failure of this treatment are higher as wisdom teeth often have unpredictable root shapes. Some orthodontists believe that wisdom teeth can cause relapse after orthodontic treatment and will advise their removal.
- Removal of wisdom teeth has some risks associated with it like pain, swelling, excessive bleeding, bruising, nausea, infection and nerve injury. Medication is routinely prescribed for discomfort and swelling.
- So when is the best time to get wisdom teeth removed? It is best to get wisdom teeth removed between the ages of 16 and 26. The bone around these teeth is less dense and hence the chance of complications is lesser during this time.
- You have the option of having your wisdom teeth removed by an oral surgeon or a dentist trained in this procedure. Dr. Nair is a general dentist with extensive training in surgery and sedation and performs this procedure routinely. Our office also charges 10-30 percent less than oral surgeons and we also take insurance. Please call us at 604-733-6825 if you any questions. Dr. Nair is also available 24 hours a day if you need to call after having the procedure done.
Dentures have been used for hundreds of years to replace missing teeth. Dental implants have enabled us to increase the efficiency of dentures by 90%. Recent innovations now allow a denture wearer to discard his denture and have fixed teeth.
The death rate associated with this cancer is particularly high due to the cancer being routinely discovered late in its development.
3,150 new cases of oral cancer were diagnosed in Canada in 2004. (Canadian Cancer Statistics, National Cancer Institute of Canada , 2004)
We take these statistics seriously and conduct a thorough cancer screening at the first and every subsequent recall visit.
We also perform brush (non-invasive) biopsies when indicated.
I am proud to say that we have saved lives.
Latex free treatment - You aren't born with a latex allergy, but if you're exposed to latex products you can develop one. You can develop a latex allergy by direct contact and by inhaling latex particles. Latex products, especially gloves, shed large amounts of latex particles, which can become airborne. Cornstarch is sometimes used on the inside of gloves to make them easier to put on and take off. The cornstarch absorbs latex proteins, but when the gloves are snapped during application or removal, the latex-laden particles fly into the air.
Sterilization assurance program - We use dental instrument cassettes which enable us to transfer sterilized instruments without contamination. We also do not re-use dental burs.
Password-protected client charts - This feature ensures that only authorized persons have access to the confidential information contained in your charts. All client information is stored on computer and not in paper charts.
Private treatment rooms - Private and exclusive treatment rooms so that you can share relevant information with us in privacy.
- We accept dental insurance and have convenient payment plan options.
Call us today for an appointment!
604-7DENTAL (604-733-6825) - Vancouver Location
604.455.NAIR (604.455.6247) - Langley Location
, wisdom teeth
Contact Smileworks Dentistry
Email - none provided
Print this page