Adult psychotherapy, including cognitive behavioural therapy, for the following presenting issues:
- Emotional distress related to decisions, relationship or job crises
- Depression or long-standing sadness
- Anxiety or panic
- Stress and stress management
- Pain management
- Life transitions
- Personal growth and performance enhancement
- Grief and bereavement
- Strong fears and phobias
- Anger difficulties
- Assertiveness and communication problems
- Relationship issues: immediate ones, such as conflict over a specific topic and
ones, such as ineffective arguing patterns
While psychological therapy is not covered by the Medical Services Plan, many extended health plans
provide some coverage. Be sure to check with your plan. Many times a referral from a family physician
is a requirement of the plan. Fees paid to a Registered Psychologist may be income tax deductible under
the “medical expenses” section of your tax form. If you are self-employed, fees paid to a psychologist
are income tax deductible as a business expense.
My rate is $180 per hour for individuals and $190 per hour for couples. I request payment after each
appointment by cheque or cash. I provide an official receipt displaying my registration number, with
which you can claim reimbursement under an extended health plan.
Where issues are appropriate, I work in a brief therapy model (5-15 appointments). I also carry
longer-term clients. Appointments are set weekly during the initial phase of treatment, then spaced
out to once every 2-4 weeks unless the client prefers weekly sessions. My approach is interactive
with provision of feedback. I suggest activities and readings which can be done as “homework”
between appointments. This facilitates the progress of therapy.
For more information about psychological services, see:
Bilsker D Gilbert M Mackey-Jamieson S Mackie JW (1989).
The clinical psychologist as consultant. British Columbia Medical Journal 31: 19-23
- The Antidepressant Skills Workbook by Dr. Dan Bilsker and Dr. Randy Paterson.
- Positive Coping with Health Conditions by Dr. Dan Bilsker.
Stressing less & enjoying life more.