Psych Drs | Dr. Dan Bilsker
income tax, Registered Psychologist, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Independent Psychological Examinations of individuals on disability leave related to mental health
problems such as major depression, anxiety disorders, traumatic stress, etc. These are designed to determine:
- Functional impairment: Psychometric test instruments allow more precise measurement of cognitive and emotional impairments than do other approaches, supporting conclusions about restrictions, limitations and accommodations.
- Coping deficits: Personal coping problems contributing to mental health conditions or impairment and which should be addressed to support work return.
- Workplace issues: Factors in the work situation precipitating or maintaining dysfunction and which should be addressed to support work return.
- Treatment/Recovery plan: Appropriate cognitive-behavioural interventions, whether these take the form of formal treatment or coaching support.
Report provided within 1-2 weeks of examination.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for individuals suffering from:
CBT has been demonstrated to be an effective intervention for these problems, equally or more effective than antidepressant or anti-anxiety medications. CBT involves a limited number of sessions, usually 5-15. Appointments are set weekly during the initial phase of treatment, then spaced out to once every 2-4 weeks unless the client prefers weekly sessions. This approach to scheduling allows the client to work on important changes between sessions and also makes the treatment more affordable, since CBT is not covered by public health insurance. Many extended health plans provide some coverage. Be sure to check with your plan—often a referral from a family physician is required. Fees paid to a Registered Psychologist may be income tax deductible under the “medical expenses” section of your tax form. If you are self-employed, fees paid to a psychologist are income tax deductible as a business expense.
- situational stress and conflict
- work-related emotional distress
- physical stress symptoms (like headaches or gut pain)
, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
, Emotional Distress
, Extended Health Plans
, Health Plans
, income tax
, Independent Psychological Examinations
, Mental Health Problems
, Registered Psychologist