Recipes - NOWBC Co-op
This week, Skipping Rooster President, Lucy Cook shared her recipe for watercress soup.
Lucy’s Super Yummy Watercress Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium to large potato – peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound watercress, large stems removed (1 large Ziploc bag full)
(cream and extra watercress leaves, optional for garnish at the end)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, stirring to coat with oil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender add 1 cup of water and bring to boil. Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium, cover and heat for 5-7 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring just to a boil. Stir in the watercress and simmer, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until watercress is just cooked.
- In small batches, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pot, season to taste, and ladle into individual bowls. (Note: Place in refrigerator if not serving at this point or freeze.)
You can top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired and garnish with watercress leaves.