Are you a lawyer involved in litigation about your charges? Are your receivables out of control? Do you have a large account that you simply cannot seem to get your client to pay? Do you need advice on your retainer agreement, security, or ensuring you get paid?
If you answered “yes” to any of those questions, or have any other remuneration-related issues, Palm & Company can help you.
It can be difficult to run a practice when your bills are not paid or when you are involved in litigation over your charges. At the same time, most lawyers have little or no inclination to devote their time to collections or fee disputes while at the same time attending to their many other obligations. After all, legal proceedings in respect of lawyers’ charges come with internal costs, stress, negative emotions and other downsides, and most lawyers are not well-studied in the law in relation to their own charges, security, billing or other remuneration issues.
The solution is experienced counsel who knows the law in the area and who will fight to ensure the fullest recovery possible. In addition to having a well-developed knowledge base and much experience in the area, Palm & Company offers a dedicated yet practical approach to litigation involving lawyers’ charges and security, helping lawyers to recover their charges and defending them against claims that would seek to deny them what they are due. Palm & Company also advises lawyers generally in order to help avoid the need for later proceedings in relation to these matters.
The following is a sample of the kinds of services that Palm & Company provides to lawyers and law firms:
- Acting as counsel for lawyers and law firms on Reviews (taxations) of lawyers’ bills under the Legal Profession Act, whether instituted by disgruntled clients or former clients or instituted by the lawyer or law firm as a means of obtaining a certificate as to the amount due for the purposes of enforcing payment
- Prosecuting actions at court on behalf of lawyers for the collection of amounts owed by their clients and defending court actions commenced by clients against their lawyers in relation to their charges
- Acting as counsel for lawyers and law firms to help in proving the fairness and reasonableness of their fee agreements on examinations of those agreements under the Legal Profession Act
- Acting as counsel for lawyers and law firms in matters where applications to Court for the approval of their charges is required, whether after settlement or judgment and whether contested or uncontested (for example, in cases involving infants or in class proceedings)
- Advising on possessory liens, common law liens on litigation proceeds, charging orders and other forms of security, and litigating issues involving those matters
- Consulting on the terms of retainer agreements, billing practices, and other matters to help avoid later disputes and to reduce the possibility of later litigation
The above are the most common, but certainly not all, of the services that Palm & Company offers lawyers and law firms. Regardless of the type of matter or the issues involved, calling Palm & Company could be the difference between taking steps that impair your recovery and taking steps that improve it. Your own interests are at stake in these matters. Palm & Company will protect them.