Legal fee disputes with your lawyer or former lawyer are difficult matters and, in most cases, should not be attempted alone. After all, it is not a case where both sides are parties of relatively equal skill and ability when it comes to litigation. You, as the client, are at a distinct disadvantage litigating a matter without an advocate against a person or firm that specializes in litigation and negotiation.
Palm & Company is the solution. By hiring a lawyer experienced in legal fee disputes, you level the playing field and ensures that you are taking the right steps to avoid paying where you have been improperly charged or where you have been charged more than is reasonable for the legal services that have been provided to you. Consulting that lawyer early in the process also ensures that you do not accidentally take steps that might prejudice you down the road.
Greg Palm is experienced in this area. He has acted for many others in circumstances similar to yours and has helped to achieve several fee reductions.* He has also acted for lawyers and law firms on these matters as well, meaning that he understands what positions will be taken by lawyers and firms and can bring that knowledge and experience to bear on your case as well.
Some of the matters Palm & Company can assist clients or former clients of other lawyers with include:
- Cases where clients believe that their lawyers have charged them more than is reasonable for the services provided
- Cases where fees are in issue because the lawyer made a mistake in the course of acting for the client
- Cases where lawyers have charged legal fees for services that were not actually provided, for services that were not requested, for work done by staff where there was no agreement for same, for work done to correct their own errors and for other matters where charge ought not to have been made at all
- Disputes over fees where the lawyer has decided to cease to act for the client or has attempted to change the terms of a fee agreement during the course of the matter
- Matters where the fairness and reasonableness of a fee agreement that a client signed is in issue
- Disputes over the proper interpretation of fee agreements between lawyers and clients
- Court applications for the return of files or other property being held by lawyers as security for their charges, whether disputed or undisputed, and litigation regarding lawyers’ entitlement to be paid from settlement or judgment proceeds
- Applications to Court for the approval of lawyers’ charges where such approval is required (for example, in cases involving infants or in class proceedings)
These are only a sample. If you are engaged in any type dispute over legal fees or a related matter, or if you simply want legal advice about your rights and options, you should make a smart decision and call Palm & Company promptly to discuss your matter and to ensure your rights are protected.
The fact that you have already made payment to a lawyer does not necessarily preclude you from an assessment of the charges made or from an examination of a fee agreement. Even if you have made a payment, but are concerned about the charges, you can – and should – call Palm & Company to discuss your rights and options.
* Past litigation results are not necessarily indicative of future ones. The amount recovered and other litigation outcomes will vary according to the facts of each individual case.