Lawyer and Notary in Revelstoke, BC-Services
Christopher H. Johnston Law
Lawyer, Notary Services, Full-service Law Firm
Full-service Law Firm
As a full-service law firm we have extensive experience providing legal advice and services in the following areas:
- Residential and commercial property transfers, purchases & mortgages
- Personal injury & ICBC Claims
- Wills, Estates, Probate, Powers of Attorney & Estate planning
- Criminal Defence and Pardons- including impaired driving & drug offences
- Divorce and all related areas of family law
- Family Mediation
- Notary Services
- Debt Collections including foreclosure
- Be honest with your lawyer. Dealing with the unexpected—something you have kept hidden from your lawyer—can be costly.
- Ask questions if you don’t understand something your lawyer says. This is not a time to be shy or afraid of sounding uninformed. You need to understand the information and advice your lawyer gives you, so that you can make decisions and instruct your lawyer on what you want to do.
- Be clear about what you expect your lawyer to do for you. Don’t make the mistake of talking about “A”, when you are hoping for “B”.
- Make sure your lawyer is right for you. You need to be able to communicate easily with your lawyer, to feel comfortable asking questions and to feel confident that you can work together to accomplish your goals.
- Make a list of questions you have or information you want to give your lawyer before you call or meet. By being prepared, you can make the best use of your time and make sure you don’t forget anything. Limiting the number and length of phone calls to your lawyer can save you money.
- Discuss money with your lawyer. You need to have a clear idea of how much your lawyer’s services will cost and what factors will affect the total cost. Ask what you can do to keep fees and other costs down.
- Talk to your lawyer when you have a problem with the service you are receiving or a concern about your case. Problems cannot be solved if you keep them to yourself. If something is bothering or upsetting you, tell your lawyer.
- Review the bill you receive right away. If you believe it reflects the agreement you made with your lawyer, pay it according to your agreement. If you have concerns about it, discuss it with your lawyer immediately. If you and your lawyer cannot reach an agreement, look into taxation or mediation without delay.
- Be realistic about what a lawyer can do for you. Lawyers have legal knowledge and expertise that can help you with legal problems. They cannot move mountains, magically return your life to what it was like before the accident or make the spouse you are divorcing a different person.
Our Firm's History
The practice has deep roots in Revelstoke dating back to the 1900's and Christopher Johnston has operated it since 1986.
It is also the successor to the practice of Rufus Hugh MacKenzie, who is a well known historical Revelstoke figure. Rufus graduated from the University of Manitoba with a law degree in 1914, and practiced in Revelstoke between the 1940s and 1970s.
We still have occasion to use Rufus's records to locate old land titles and wills.
, Notary Services